Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Recommend me a book on relativity

I am going into 3rd year engineering and have seen/understood some of the basics of relativity from einstein exhibits and whatnot, but i was wondering if you guys could recommend any books. Mainly for personal learning/understanding, but also becuase we often brush upon it in physics, but its never been properly taught/explained.

fwiw i dont really like books like the elegant universe because they always skip (in my opinion) the best parts, ie they never show the fundamentals and how they are derived, but rather skip to the final product and make some abstract comparison.

i also dont really want a university textbook, unless its a good one to read.

Long story short: I want something about relativity that is comparable to something Feynmann would write.

thanks

Stealthcow-
Old 07-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Recommend me a book on relativity

This isn't the book I learned special relativity from, but I own it and it seems to be very good from what I've read. It's called "Special Relativity" by A.P. French. It's a small paper-back text that you can find on Amazon. It's pricier than I remember, but it would be more economical than buying the textbook which I used (~$120 I think, and only a fraction of it was devoted to relativity).
Old 07-14-2006, 03:26 PM

Six Not So Easy Pieces by Feynman. Awesome book that as an engineering major, will be easy for you to follow. I love Dick Feynman and found this to be very helpful on the subject of special relativity along with symmetries, space time, and curved space.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:43 PM

Special relativity in and of itself is fairly simple -- there are a lot of tutorials and introductory papers available online. There probably isn't much need to buy a book dedicated to the topic these days if you've got a connection to the internet.