Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 AM

Default What do you think about partypoker mini steps?

Starting from 2nd step seems like it can be decent profit made for a small investment. you beat 40 ppl and you take 2000$ for 20$ investement in the real tourney you beat 40 ppl you would win about 300$.

Anyone whos doing great in those? I wanna know whats expected profit in a month if i would be playing those 8 hours 5 tables per day. i have 43+% for top 3 in regular SNG.

maybe if it will turn good after some time its possible to buy in directly into mini step 4.

ty
Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: What do you think about partypoker mini steps?

I can't answer the question- I just know that I'm addicted to these at the moment. I tried them out after a recommendation here with some free money that I cleared on party poker (I don't normally play there) and have got a lot of game for only $6. Level 1 is EASY to beat, though not sure it's going to be worth many people's time. I had to start there because of a limited party bankroll (once again, I'm starting with about ~$50, which is what I have after clearing the $20 they put in my account). The levels do seem to get progressivly more difficult- I'm currently at level 4 and I'm pretty sure I could get here against without too much difficulty.

If I had a reasonable bankroll, I'd probably start from level 2. But starting from level 1 isn't bad as long as your HU skills are up to snuff (though the play is horrible, of course).
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Just won my way into the third round about a week ago. Still waiting to play. How is the play in the 3rd level? Anything I need to look out for? Is there any time of the day/week that is better to play these?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:05 PM

i play on stars almost exclusively but see people talk about the steps all of the time. could someone sum up the steps for me briefly?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:11 PM

You're not comparing the two types of games correctly.

In an MTT with 40 people, there are 5 tables with 8 people. If you win your table, then you're down to 5 people. So even though you beat 7 people, you're counting it as 35 people.

The steps are similar to a shootout tourney where the top 2-4 advance or cash. Proper satellite strategy is necessary to succeed in the steps.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 PM

bwana,
The steps are single table tournaments in which the prizes are primarily entries into other step tournaments. So, in step 1, 1st place goes to step 2 and 2-5 get a ticket back to step 1. And then at step 4 or 5 or something it's the prizes are all cash.

OP,
It looks like steps 4 and 5 don't run very often, which is a big deal, since you'll have to play those to make any money.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:16 PM

I had to wait quite a while for my step 3 to fill up around 9PM EST the other day.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to wait quite a while for my step 3 to fill up around 9PM EST the other day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about mini steps. Mini steps are always busy at any time
Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just won my way into the third round about a week ago. Still waiting to play. How is the play in the 3rd level?

[/ QUOTE ]I only played level 3 once, so my sample size is fairly small [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I did sweat a few before I played, and it's basically just a little tighter at the beginning than the level 2. It took a while for someone to bust out. I will say it was a LOT closer to level 2 play than level 1, which is just simply a donkfest.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:44 PM

Oh yes, and even my limited experience has taught me to respect this:
[ QUOTE ]
Proper satellite strategy is necessary to succeed in the steps.

[/ QUOTE ]
I made a HUGE blunder at the end of my 3rd level where we were three handed and it was two big stacks (I was one) against a small stack. I got invovled in a pot with the big stack for no real reason and spewed chips with TP. He was playing dumb and got lucky, but there was no reason for me to even be in the pot against him. Fortunatly I worked it out and hopefully the lesson will save me in future steps.