UTG+1: t1465
footnbaseball: t1580
MP2: t1395
MP3: t1505
CO: t1315
Button: t4465
SB: t2315
BB: t1375

Pre-flop: (9 players) footnbaseball is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">footnbaseball raises to t120</font>, 4 folds, SB calls t100 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t180)</font>, BB folds.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t280, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t200</font>, footnbaseball calls t200 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t480)</font>.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t680, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t800</font>, footnbaseball folds.
Uncalled bets: t800 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: t680

I never know what to do in situations like this, so I default to playing the hand poorly.

All comments welcome.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: $5- I never know what to do in these situations

I'm done with this hand once SB bets out at me.

I think in general most players calling range is not far behind of AJ to begin with so I never feel bad letting it go if I don't get a great flop and face some aggression.

Ken
Old 07-14-2006, 02:00 AM

i think folding the flop is the best move but calling isn't too far behind. you can still hit some cards and the SB may very well check the turn. but since he did bet it, a fold is standard.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:00 AM

I think he has KQ or QJ. I fold the turn.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 AM

This is what, level 1? I NEVER EVER raise raise this hand here. I just limp. I'm hoping to flop either 2-pair or a straight / flush draw and if I complete either one - I can win a nice pot. Any other play with AJ is a loser here more often than not. Fold AJo preflop.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Slight thread hijack attempt coming up...with hands like this the better players here often say stuff like "you don't want to have to play AJ for a big pot out of position after the flop...so limp". What I'm wondering is...why not? This seems like the type of hand where you'd be much better off if you were out of position. You could do a continuation bet and have a very good idea of whether you're probably beaten. As it is, you're pretty much forced to either bleed chips or fold without ever taking a shot at winning the hand if he's got nothing.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"you don't want to have to play AJ for a big pot out of position after the flop...so limp". What I'm wondering is...why not?

[/ QUOTE ]Because you're likely to be dominated by any hand that calls you.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:04 AM

I think raising preflop here is fine. Hell, I raise PF w/a lot of hands. I want my opponents to think of me as loose/aggressive. The key to playing a lot of hands with PFRs or just a lot of hands in knowing how to play postflop and when to dump it. I think you played it just fine.

You were probably the favorite before the flop so you raised. Realize that when he calls, there is a good chance you are now behind, so don't fall in love w/your hand. You make middle pair on the flop and he donk bets. Your hand isn't so strong as to merit a raise IMO, so just call and see what the turn brings. He may have been semi-bluffing the flop. His turn bet tells us he has a hand and I can't think of any he is making this big of a bet with that we can beat, so we lay it down before the pot gets big.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Why is villain's flop bet a 'donk bet'? Just over 2/3 of the pot seems pretty reasonable.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"you don't want to have to play AJ for a big pot out of position after the flop...so limp". What I'm wondering is...why not?

[/ QUOTE ]Because you're likely to be dominated by any hand that calls you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Not as likely as you think. A lot of people will see a flop here w/QJ, JT, AT, any pocket pair, KQ, etc. Of course they are also calling w/AQ and calling/raising w/AK, so that is why you have to recognize that his call might mean we are behind. I really really think villain has AQ or KQ here and is afraid of this board. Against a good opponent, a big raise on the turn representing AK might work (looks like slowplay on the flop), but in $5, I wouldn't try it.