Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 PM

Default How big of a prick was I?

I coac my son's 10 and under baseball game. These games are usually umped by teenagers around 14 or 15 and sometimes you have to explain the rules to them. Yesterday was the first game of the palyoffs.

Three is a rule that a runner can steal secong or third on a passed ball. They cannot steal home. I have a runner on second and no outs. The pitcher throws ball four to the batter so i send my runner from second to third. The other coach tells the umpire to send the kid back beacuse he cant run on a ball four (in my opinion the ball is live). The ump sends him back, I go up to the umpire to tell him the ball is live and the other coach gets in my face telling me that i cannot argue with the umpire and his call is final. Nevermind that the umpire allowed my guy to stay at third until the other coach intervened. Anyway, my guy goeds back to second and game goes on.

There is another rule that says you cannot start an inning two hours after the game starts. The games are supposed to be 6 innings if you can fit them all in. We are the home team and it is about 1:45 minutes into the game. The ump comes to me and says that since we are ahead and it is unlikely that we will get another inning in that we can decide to call the game. I tell the other coach that it is his decision and he should probably try to get us out in time for the last inning to start. He takes a good five nutes to get hos team on the field. They get us out fairly quickly but the ump calls the game because it is one minute past the timeline. The other coach starts yelling its only a minute after and the game should continue. I ask the ump what his ruling is an d he says game over.

I very smugly tell the guy that I wouldn't mind contining but in order to do so I would have to argue with the umpires call which he told me I couldn't do.

So was I a prick.

Cliff notes: Caoch baseball team. Other coach yells at me for argiung with umpire. It comes back to bite him in the end. Was I a prick?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: How big of a prick was I?

In the first one, wtf? It's 10 and under. Keep the guy at second, don't be a gay nit.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 PM

First one: wild pitch on ball 4 = live ball, your runner should be allowed to stay at third.

Second one: Yeah, you're a prick to a degree, but I'd do the same thing in your shoes.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Where does he say the pitch was wild?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Was the ball 4 a wild pitch or did he just run while the catcher wasn't looking?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where does he say the pitch was wild?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was kind of assuming it, otherwise why would he have explained his league's passed ball rule?

In any case, it doesn't matter. You can steal on ball 4 whether you are forced or not. If there is a man on 2nd and the batter walks, the runner can steal third if any sort of stealing is allowed.

How do you not know that you can't steal a base on ball 4? I'd be annoyed too if an idiot was out there arguing that it was a live ball.

Both you and the other coach were disrespecting the game and being a terrible example to the children. Grow up and act like the role model you're supposed to be.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 PM

The other coach being a prick awards you a "Be-a-prick-back" card. Way to use it.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 PM

GET ON THE BAG