Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Looking for Another Site to Play Stud.

I currently primarily play stud at PS and at two of the Cryptologic sites (InterPoker and SunPoker). I also currently have an account at a PrimaPoker site (Gaming Club), but only play there now when they offer me a bonus. I had accounts in the past with Party and with UB, but found playing stud at both to be unsatisfying.

In researching other options to play stud, it appears that my best choices are Paradise Poker, Poker Room (or one of its skins like Hollywood Poker), FullTilt and/or Pacific Poker. I've seen comments here about Paradise and Poker Room, so have a pretty good idea about the playing experience there, but I've not seen anyone here comment about FullTilt or Pacific.

Any recommendations about any of these or other options?

P.S. I primarily play any limits ranging from 1/2 up to 5/10 (3/6 is my game of choice), and would prefer a site that offers rakeback.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Looking for Another Site to Play Stud.

Full tilt seems decent. There are good rakeback offers for this site. I think their software is pretty good too.. Games pretty much only run at night, though.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:35 PM

I have accounts at HP, UB and FT. FT is usually very slim pickens for stud. There is usually a 1/2 or 2/4 going, but 5/10 doesnt usually go unless Keith Sexton is around. The ante and BI structure is much different than Im use to, so it takes a little getting use to. Upside, you do get to play with some pros like Sexton, Ive also had D'Agastino and Mark Vos at my table.

Youve played at UB and know thats also slim pickens.

HP is my favorite. I was at PR for over a year til I switched to HP last fall for rakeback. Always a couple 1/2 and 2/4 games going. No 5/10, it goes to 6/12 which isnt always going, but pretty easy to get a game going. Plus the level of play there is not good, so some easy money can be made. 10/20 game has been shorthnaded lately. Usually has some super aggressive players, so some patience will pay off nicely, especially if you got the balls to call down with a pair of fives every once in a while.

I am also looking for a new site or 2 since UB and FT dont have enough action. Is it worth it to open an acct with PP or PS is I cant get any rakeback? I have rakeback on my other 3 and it gave me the chance to build my BR faster so I could move up levels more quickly. My question is, is the donk factor high enough at either of these sites to make it worth playing without rakeback? Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 PM

About Pacific Poker, during prime hours Pacific always has tables going up to 5-10, and the competition is very soft. Games above this only go on occasionally, usually one full table somewhere above. During the slower hours, games can only be guaeenteed at the lowest levels, up to about 1-2, with one or two full tables going on higher than this, but you cant guarentee that a table will be going at every limit until 5-10.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:56 PM

Curious about rake back -- how did you go about getting it at HP? I've never played at these sites I used to receive rakeback on Party until they did away with it.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 AM

I'd recommend Party Poker. There are always several games running and the low limit tables up to $3/$6 are pretty soft.
I have not played above those limits but at the moment there are tables going up to $30/$60.

The ante structure at HP is very favorable for tight players. I also like the Cryptologic sites. At both these networks the selection might be limited at times.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:40 AM

I dunno what's goin on but PR's stud games seem to always kick ass.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the good feedback. I think I may give Hollywood a shot next. The rakeback affiliate I currently use for my Crypto sites doesn't offer rakeback with Hollywood, but I see that RTR has a nice rakeback with Hollywood. Is that who you use? Also, I see that Hollywood offers a variety of sign-up bonuses. Which one(s) do you recommend in terms of ease to clear compared to amount you get in bonus?

As for your question about Party and PS, let me address PS first since that is one that I currently play on. I have found over the 2 and a half years I've played there that I have not been as successful in stud ring games there than I have been at the other sites I still play. This has been a bit of a mystery to me as to why this is, because the ante and betting structure there is such that it ought to be conducive to me winning more. The only game there that I have had consistent success in is the 3/6 game. I just break even or win slightly at the other limits I play there. I don't find the caliber of play there to generally be any higher than what I experience on other sites, but I do think the players there tend to be more unpredictable. However, I don't sense that they are necessarily trickier in their unpredictability, just occasionally more "adventurous."

So why do I keep playing there regularly if I make more money at other sites? The stud tourneys there are unparalleled is one reason. I also like their software a lot, and the customer service and deposit/cashout process are also excellent. And I've never wanted for a game going. They may not have as many stud games going at any given time as Party, but there are always at least a couple games going at levels I want to play for me to choose from.

Speaking of Party, that was the first poker site I ever played at and I played there for a little over a year before I moved on. I left quite frankly because I was not making any money there, but that may have been as much a factor of my inexperience with on-line poker as anything else. I wasn't used to playing in stud games where there were 5-6 players in almost every pot and raises and re-raises were meaningless. Also, I thought the stud tourneys there sucked because of the low amount of starting chips and the level structure they use. The whole structure of their tourneys increases the "luck factor" and decreases the importance of skill. The bottom-line for me was and still is that I believe with rakeback and other regular bonuses coupled with the ease of competition, I can make more money consistently at other sites. I'm not likely to ever go back to Party.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search too.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 PM

That totally helps. I have always wanted to stay away from Party, but because of the spread of games and limits it has always had my attention, but not many people I know are happy with the site. I may give PS a shot just so I have one of the big ones in my folder of places to play.

As far as HP goes, I am totally happy with the site, and I do use RTR as my rakeback (which I found here in the affiliate/rakeback section, which was the reason I initially signed up for this site, and then stumbled across the stud forum which rules). They are always timely when they pay, and Jessica is always quick to answer emails. She also posts here in the affiliate/rakeback section so she is easy to find for help. The site itself is great, same fish as pokerroom, except you get rakeback. The stud tourneys are small, btw 25 and 50 people, but this winter I played 10 and my number were 1st)twice 2nd) three times and 3rd) twice. So if you are good at tourneys you will do well there. The $500 and $1000 bonuses are hard to clear, but I have come close playing a lot. I cleared the $100 bonus last week with ease only playing a few hours, and I just asked for it again as a reload and they gave it to me. They have constant reloads, just ask. They also have a $100 referral bonus that gets split, let me know if you want to do that or if you know someone else on the site, do it with them. Its totally worth itand really easy to clear. Hope this helps.

Worm
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 AM

Just browsed this thread but if you are going to play ongame then go with eurobet. 25% RB and a nice sign up bonus, 600$ I think...

Actually, why no do both since HP has a really nice sign up bonus also...