Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 AM

Default NL$2 - TP flopped against aggressive player

this was a 9max table but it was 4 handed. this dude had been pretty LAGgy, a few times he raised my cbets on the flop and i had to fold. he also seemed fairly loose preflop, so i think his range was wider than a king on the flop. the overbet also makes me wonder what hes trying to do. whats the best line here? anyone push, or is it an easy fold?
===
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($4.76)
UTG ($2.08)
MP ($7.68)
Hero ($1.95)
SB ($13.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.14</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.32</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.18.

Flop: ($0.67) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.06</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ..
Old 07-13-2006, 07:42 AM

Default Re: NL$2 - TP flopped against aggressive player

How in the world can you take this game seriously? I push.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 AM

The reraise PF is bad. Big suited cards are pretty and all but they're not really that wonderful.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 AM

yeah i know the reraise PF isn't standard, but i think i'm ahead of this guys range enough to make it +EV. and i also wanted to isolate the other two players.

and this was my last hand at the table cause like 3 people left at once and i didnt realize it was 4 handed lol.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:58 AM

Hrm. First of all, I wouldn't be reraising preflop. I'm not sure what the standard raise was, but I'd treat a 7xBB UTG raise with some respect. A push would be only $0.57 extra for him to call into a $3.36 pot, so I don't think you have much FE. If I put him on something like Kx, AK, JJ+, Pokerstove says we're ahead by about 5%. Tighten that up, and we're not. So it's basically a race. I'd be folding.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 PM

These overbets get made so that people push into them. It works a LOT at 2NL. You are ahead of QQ-. I doubt his King is worse than yours.

I'm not opposed to popping him preflop if he's aggro. You have position. But realize it failed when he overbets this dramatically. This is a strong lead not just picking off your cbet. Just fold it.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 PM

You reraised him preflop, so i assume you liked your hand. You probably got the best flop you can ask for, so im sure you'd like to make money off of it. Also villian is LAG, which is probably the best you can ask for.

Push the flop, or call and trap him on the turn. Is folding a question with a 2$ stack?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:45 PM

I'd just like to note that folding *is* an option with a 2$ stack. If we're playing at this level, we're probably doing so because our bankrolls are not big enough for anything else. That bankroll won't be growing bigger if we don't take the level seriously (something I'm prone to do myself).
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM

If this guy is super LAGgy, would it be correct to assume he would reraise all in with AA,KK,AK based on your reads? Did you ever see him slowplaying a big hand? I think the only hand you need to worry about is kq or A3. More times than not, he probably has a decent king or a club draw and is commiting himself to the pot with the size of his post flop bet. Considering stack sizes, push.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Pushing into that bet with TPGK is BAD. This is donk extraction at its finest. The whole point of the flop bet is that people DON'T respect $2. He bet enough to commit you because he wants a call or push.

There are very few super LAGs at this level. There are extremely loose BAD players who call pushes with top pair. There are gamblers who don't give a crap about $2. Don't equate loose preflop with LAG down here. What was his AF?

There are quite a few fishermen who are loose preflop but can outplay most post-flop. They make this bet. Good LAGs are rare, the game shuts down to extreme aggression and the fish move to a 'normal' table. TAGs are winning too slowly and move up to higher limits, cause stealin .03 just isn't that fun.

You can quite easily CRUSH this game. But you won't do it by calling massive overbets.

To the guys that can't take the game seriously ADD 2 zeros and teach him to play NL200. Are you REALLY going to push into a $100 dollar bet in a $60 dollar pot with top pair on a paired suited board with $130 behind. He HAS to call you HAVE to lose. Do you think he's leaving any behind on this bet if he intends you to fold?

There is no point learning bad habits. The preflop reraise was BS. Why would you think you're ahead of someone raising 7BB UTG? He's not stealing. He's OOP. He is isolating for 1 caller. If he checks the flop or cbets the flop, play poker. Float him. Reraise. b3b. Whatever you like. When he gets wood and overbets, get out of the way unless you can beat him (think set, straight, tp fd, combo draw)not tpgk.