Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 AM

Default 40-80 hand

8 handed online I raise KJd UTG in a 7 handed game. Folded to player I havent played with much but who I think is pretty solid, who coldcalls. Button and Blinds fold.

Flop: Jh10c7s. I bet and he raises. I call planning to checkraise a good turn card.

Turn: 9c (Jh10c7s9c) I check and he bets. Plan for rest of turn and river?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:54 AM

Default Re: 40-80 hand

I usually just 3bet the flop, but once you take this line I think you have to check/call down on a turn like this. He could be raising the flop with a hand like ATs or QJs which are viable coldcalling hands, so you can't fold, but you don't have a good enough hand to raise. Maybe bet/fold the river, but I don't like that against a thinking player.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM

it is likely that he got QQ or KK like that. the over top pair is good enough to bet and raise even if you got JJ with K.casue he is petty solid , there is no reasont that he had KA or QA ,bet when turn is 9, sure, he got no 8, you two neither got str8.
but,i will call and let him show me his cards.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM

i don't like the idea of planning on checkraising the turn in this spot. i would just pound the flop.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM

Generally speaking I like to 3 bet the flop but lately I've been doing the "turn checkraise a good card line" for meta game reasons.

If the villain in this hand is pretty solid he usually has KQs, AJs, a set or JTs in that order. The 9 is a [censored] card so I'd just call the turn.

As for the river we're in a tough spot. It doesn't feel like you can beat much of anything except a small pair or a hand like AQ or a player who decided to play AK soft preflop. Since we're online it seems like everybody always 3 bets both those hands preflop so those are unlikely.

I like a check/fold on the river but in all honesty I'd probably bet/fold in the heat of the moment.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM

I hate checkraising the turn after this flop there's so many bad turn cards, I just pound. The way you played it I call turn and check fold river u/i I guess but would be very unhappy about it.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like the idea of planning on checkraising the turn in this spot. i would just pound the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously my default, but against a floater I almost never 3 bet here with AK/AQ cause they always have something and they will never fold. So I decided to take a different line.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate checkraising the turn after this flop there's so many bad turn cards, I just pound. The way you played it I call turn and check fold river u/i I guess but would be very unhappy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think you can ever fold given how little strength you have shown in the hand. I think we all agree that when the 9 comes we cant checkraise the turn. So we check call the turn. And just check call the river? Bet/fold. Bet/call? I can think of different reasons that I hate every option.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm trying to think of the hands we beat that a solid opponent has. A strangely played AQ or AK but i really don't see these not being 3 bet preflop. I suppose we beat 66 or tie with KJ.

If we're not check/folding the river (which is my vote) I'd say check/call is best. At least we get to see the hand and make a note.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:58 PM

I think QJs and Q10s have to make up at least 5% of his range. Again I know nothing about this player except that he seemed solid.