Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Good news about gambling legislation in Congress

House OKs bill against internet gambling

Wait a minute, this is horribly bad news [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Good news about gambling legislation in Congress

ay maron
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 PM

Not a big deal yet - has not passed the REAL test. remember the House are not the sharpest tools, Most are local yokles from small parts of states. They are for the MOST part clueless.

States have 4 and 5 Reps.

The Senate are the "smart" ones with only 2 from each state. For the MOST part they have actually gone to school.

NOW the real battle begins.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Senate are the "smart" ones

[/ QUOTE ]

God help the country. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
For the MOST part they have actually gone to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush and Kerry both went to Yale. So much for that as a measure of anything. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

As far as this bill is concerned, it appears that no one in the Senate has any interest in it, so it will likely die.

As far as the relative competence of the House vs. the Senate,

1. Many Senators serve in the House first.

2. The "elite" status of the Senate results in most of them have a much more tenuous grasp on reality and their own abilities compared to members of the House. You pick any Senator and any Representative at random and I'll bet money on the Senator having his/her head further where the sun don't shine.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM

Default Any lawyers out there???

I read the text of the legislation a few days ago and it really looks like the only thing this bill would do would be to cut off players from depositing new funds into your favorite on-line site. I don't think there is a provision stopping you from taking a withdrawal.

IF this did pass (which the Senate probably won't take it up) it seems this, in effect, would just cause people to go on a big run and make larger than normal deposits so they can continue playing in the future (or until the proper loophole is discovered). The potential downside would be no new players/money in the system and possibly a decline of US players over time, shifting peak playing time to other time zones. But that would be a relatively long process.

Can anyone knowledgable about the law add any further insight on how this may theoretically affect on-line players near and short term.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Any lawyers out there???

If the Bill, assuming it was passed thru the senate, would cripple all the online banking options we use to transfer money, couldn't we just send a money order, or check, or bank check to the sites?? yeah, a lot less convenient and time consuming, but how could the government stop this?? And couldn't you also get a cashout check sent to you from a site?? Again, it's like the stoneage method, but my question is, it could work, right?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Bill, assuming it was passed thru the senate, would cripple all the online banking options we use to transfer money, couldn't we just send a money order, or check, or bank check to the sites?? yeah, a lot less convenient and time consuming, but how could the government stop this?? And couldn't you also get a cashout check sent to you from a site?? Again, it's like the stoneage method, but my question is, it could work, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to imagine the results if the clowns at Party customer service had to process checks?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I would like some more tech savy people to start seriously thinking about loopholes on this, but the bill will force ISP's to disable links to the websites, so, we won't be able to even access the website, I think. I think the smartest course of action for anyone who loves online poker is to do what the can to stop this from happening (which is very little), but to plan an alternative in the event it does pass. I feel like we live in Communist China or something, our goverment forcing ISP's to regulate what website I can or cannot visit.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM

This bill has no chance of passing. The senate WILL NOT have time to take it up, even if they wanted to waste their time on it. The committe process takes months/years for bills like this with interest groups aligned for and against. Think about how long it took to get through the House - which practically rubber stamped it. Now think about how the Senate has to get it done before the end of the Session - IN OCTOBER. Now think about how the Senate is recessed in August, and how Senate business in the run-up to the November elections will be all about immigration, Iraq and other issues voters actually care about.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I would like some more tech savy people to start seriously thinking about loopholes on this, but the bill will force ISP's to disable links to the websites, so, we won't be able to even access the website, I think. I think the smartest course of action for anyone who loves online poker is to do what the can to stop this from happening (which is very little), but to plan an alternative in the event it does pass. I feel like we live in Communist China or something, our goverment forcing ISP's to regulate what website I can or cannot visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the bill was just stopping the pipeline to online banks that fascilitate the transactions to the poker sites. They can't stop us from going to the sites, can they??