Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Are there any well-read Nietzsche posters out there?

I've just recently started reading Nietzche (I bought The Will to Power and Beyond Good and Evil), and have thusfar found that everything makes very good sense to me.

I haven't read much though, and I'm guessing there's a bunch of you who are familiar with his work who might be willing to explain some questions I may come across.

I used the search function but couldn't find any relevant threads really, please link if I'm missing something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Any good articles or other weblinks are welcome too.

So yeah I've started The Will to Power and have actually been pretty excited, as I seem to be on the same page as Nietzsche on all his ideas (so far). Taking me a long time to read as I constantly have to pause to think, but the actual reading isn't too difficult.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Are there any well-read Nietzsche posters out there?

Donīt forget "Will to Power" isnīt really a volume by Nietzsche, but a collection of his random notes he left after being hospitalized arranged by his sister.

Iīm sure I could be helpful with some of your questions, since Iīve been reading alot of Nietzsche back in the days, but unfortunately I have to log off in a minute. Iīll have a look at this thread tomorrow, though.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:49 PM

Just get the walter kaufmann translations and read some of his essays. I would N's works in order to see how his thoughts evolve. And as the other post said, Will to Power isn't really his work.

If you wanted to just read one book to I would read kaufmann's translation of froehliche wissenshaft which in english is the gay science. (irreverently happy approach to knowledge)
Old 07-12-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanted to just read one book to I would read kaufmann's translation of froehliche wissenshaft which in english is the gay science. (irreverently happy approach to knowledge)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM

I'd start with The Gay Science. It'll give you a good grounding in Nietzsche.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just recently started reading Nietzche (I bought The Will to Power and Beyond Good and Evil), and have thusfar found that everything makes very good sense to me.

I haven't read much though, and I'm guessing there's a bunch of you who are familiar with his work who might be willing to explain some questions I may come across.

I used the search function but couldn't find any relevant threads really, please link if I'm missing something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Any good articles or other weblinks are welcome too.

So yeah I've started The Will to Power and have actually been pretty excited, as I seem to be on the same page as Nietzsche on all his ideas (so far). Taking me a long time to read as I constantly have to pause to think, but the actual reading isn't too difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

A professor by the name of Robert C. Solomon also has some excellent stuff on Nietzsche - my favorite is his course which can be found at the Teaching Company (don't be put off by the price - every course TTC puts out goes on sale at least once during the year, and in this case when it does it would be available for $70 instead of $250 for the DVD, so just wait until then), and a book called "What Nietzsche Really Said"

Of course, you don't have to (and shouldn't) take a philosopher's opinions all-or-none. There's stuff of Nietzsche's I find to be amazingly life-vivifying, and there's other stuff I could do without or think is sheer nonsense. Just take the parts that speak to you and incorporate them into your life and personal philosophy, and throw the unnecessary bits away.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 PM

As already stated, get some Kaufmann translations. The only other suggestion I have is to keep Nietzsche's rhetorical strategies at the front of your mind. There is a reason why he's one of the most misquoted writers in Western civilization.

Scott
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Thankyou for the input all.

I took the advice, put down A Will to Power, went out and bought the WK translation of The Gay Science. This book is much more personal and I feel as though Nietzsche speaks to and relates to the reader extremely well.

I find his relationship to the reader to be fascinating. N preaches to readers that he does not care whether or not one agrees with him: he more importantly wants readers to think and establish beliefs for themselves, so long as one is able to challenge their own beliefs when the time comes. This stance really empowers the reader to make use of his ideas. I'm very glad that I started with this book, it is much more personal than the other excerpts that I've read; and - as mentioned - it allows a bit more insight into Nietzsche himself.

I'm midway through book 4 of The Gay Science. I'm going to have some questions handy once I finish to help clear up any misconceptions I have. I plan to reread most of the book to absorb as much as I can before moving on to another.

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, you don't have to (and shouldn't) take a philosopher's opinions all-or-none. There's stuff of Nietzsche's I find to be amazingly life-vivifying, and there's other stuff I could do without or think is sheer nonsense. Just take the parts that speak to you and incorporate them into your life and personal philosophy, and throw the unnecessary bits away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is what I've been trying to do. There just happen to be very few points thusfar that I do not agree with (everything seems to speak to me.)

[ QUOTE ]
The only other suggestion I have is to keep Nietzsche's rhetorical strategies at the front of your mind. There is a reason why he's one of the most misquoted writers in Western civilization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can easily picture N's ideas being taken out of context and warped into something they weren't meant to be. Fortunately, I like to think that I've been keen to most of the devices N uses - I try to pause and see a different perspective if something doesn't fit just right.

I realize I haven't posed any concrete questions here, but they will be coming shortly - I'm almost done! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Nietzsche is dead.
-God
Old 08-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Talk about missing the point.