Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 03:56 AM

Default Morongo

Can anyone basically tell me about the games at Morongo?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Morongo

Depends on what you are playing. The NL games are either 1/2 (played with $1 chips) or 2/5 played with $5. The 1/2 is $100 max and the 2/5 is no max (most buy in for 3-5). The NL 2/5 is fairly action oriented (but not nearly as much as Commerce), but if full of Vegas style locals. The $1 chip NL game is pretty much a joke (any NL game with $1 would be, really).

The limit games are standard (especially at lower limits). Not as passive as Vegas, but not as action oriented as Commerce.

The room in general is FULL of 18-20 year old wannabe pro punks (playing with their parents money), as Morongo is one of the few that is 18+.

If you are 21+, Commerce is MUCH better on many levels, but it about 80 miles from it, in LA.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The room in general is FULL of 18-20 year old wannabe pro punks (playing with their parents money),

[/ QUOTE ]

So these guys are good or bad??
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 AM

Quality of play varies (leaning toward the mediocre to bad), usually laughably agressive, but that is not what I was referring to.

It is their obnoxious, immature, table mannerisms that kills it for me. They win with a bluff, they proudly show it as if they discovered the cure to cancer, and then don't [censored] up for an hour, while folding every hand, or limping. They look into the sky like Johnny Chan in Rounders when thinking of whether to call. Asking to run it twice, etc. It is not all kids that do this, but enough to where I find playing at Morongo to be not worth it.

Usually it is a LOT of semi-bluffing (with fairly large size bets), and a decent amount of table talk as well.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Wait, so the 2-5nl is full of locals that are good?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on what you are playing. The NL games are either 1/2 (played with $1 chips) or 2/5 played with $5. The 1/2 is $100 max and the 2/5 is no max (most buy in for 3-5). The NL 2/5 is fairly action oriented (but not nearly as much as Commerce), but if full of Vegas style locals. The $1 chip NL game is pretty much a joke (any NL game with $1 would be, really).

The limit games are standard (especially at lower limits). Not as passive as Vegas, but not as action oriented as Commerce.

The room in general is FULL of 18-20 year old wannabe pro punks (playing with their parents money), as Morongo is one of the few that is 18+.

If you are 21+, Commerce is MUCH better on many levels, but it about 80 miles from it, in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

O Rly?

I havent been there since last summer but when I used to go on a regular basis the 2-5 NL game was a 300$ Max

While there are a ton of teenagers (I was at the time also) there are also a ton of old people who have no clue and play everyhand. You also get some crazy asians on a semi-frequent basis. The dealers get tipped and treated better there than any card room on the planet. They regularly get 2-5$ from a lot of people out of nothing pots and I have never seen anyone berate the dealer...ever
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM

The games have changed since then. 300 min 500 max I can't say how soft the games are but they are not always as soft as people are saying. There are times when these games are in fact quite tough.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 PM

The game varies. What I found is that there are 3-5 locals who play completely different from trip to trip.

Sometimes they are pushing all in with weak draws / bottom pair. And other times they are peddling the nuts.

It goes way beyond shifting gears. I honestly feel like these guys play EXTREMELY different dependant on whether or not they won or loss $1,000 on the golf course.

Over-all it a good game, but as previous posts stated, I hate the 19 year old (just saw rounders) crowd.

They either A) Slow down the game as they roost on there last $100 B) You can't give them "action" because none of them have re-buy cash and/or they will hit and run as soon as they double up C) You'll hear about it for hours if they pick off your bluff and or bluff you... it's almost unbearable.

Unless you are stuck in the Palm Springs area, go play the $300-$500 at the Bike and /or commerce
Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 PM

Morongo has nicer poon too look at than Bike or Commerce but lacks in its poker room, but if you aren't old enough then I guess you're stuck going there.

I wouldn't call the $100NL tables tough. They're par for the course. Never played the 2/5NL.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:20 AM

I play at the commerce or the bike if I was 21. I'm stuck here for now.