Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Passive line vs. Solid Player: PP 1-2 6 max

I had been showing down lots of good hands at the table recently and really haven't been caught bluffing at all. The villain in the hand is a very solid player. I've seen him make some great plays by just calling raises on the flop or turn and then check-raising the next street. He is tight aggressive along the lines of 20/10/3. I knew that if I was ahead of the villain here he wouldn't call a bet on the turn UI. Thus I thought that by checking the turn through I could induce a bluff or just bet for value if checked to again. Is this line to passive or just right?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 07-11-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Passive line vs. Solid Player: PP 1-2 6 max

I was going to say bet turn but I like your reasoning, especialy on this board.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 AM

Is raising the river bad? He either folds and we win the same, but if he picked up a pair on the river, he's likely paying off another one.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:04 AM

I'd raise the river. By checking the turn through you just opened yourself up to villain bet/calling with a lot more hands.

And I do like the turn check.

-Caddy
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 AM

This is a terrible hand.

PF: Good play if you have 400+ hands on villain, otherwise reraise.

F: Call.

Turn: Bet.

River: You're way ahead here, but this is a correct call.

Edit: Just FYI, I haven't been playing well lately, and I've been giving weak-tight advice I think, too. So don't feel too bad that I think it's a terrible hand. There's some chance that I'm wrong, and it's like guaranteed that I've done probably a bunch of things that are equally shitty in the last 24 hours.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a terrible hand.

PF: Good play if you have 400+ hands on villain, otherwise reraise.

F: Call.

Turn: Bet.

River: You're way ahead here, but this is a correct call.

Edit: Just FYI, I haven't been playing well lately, and I've been giving weak-tight advice I think, too. So don't feel too bad that I think it's a terrible hand. There's some chance that I'm wrong, and it's like guaranteed that I've done probably a bunch of things that are equally shitty in the last 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what youre saying here David. Preflop is a 3bet for me, and I also dont see the point in raising the flop in this spot. I think the hero makes more money in the long run by just calling on this specific flop. I dont mind the turn check, if the villain raises the river. Just betting the turn and river looks fine also. Not getting 2 big bets in on the turn+river with this strong of a hand is a shame.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 AM

I don't see the point really of calling the flop. It's not like by calling instead of raising you conceal your hand - lol.

Just raise the flop and bet bet bet.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM

I have some questions here guys.

1) Vs four players on the flop, will villain bet with QQ or must he have an A?

2) Will he call a river raise with KK after you check through the turn?

--Dave.

My answers:

1) Don't know.
2) No.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 AM

I'd call the flop, call the turn, raise the river. I don't think you get reraised on the river by AK because of the paired/flushy board, so you are somewhat protected from a threebet, but the ten was bad as it's very likely he has AT/AJ/AQ/AK. He might have KK or QQ or something as well....but if he has those he might not pay off a river raise.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point really of calling the flop. It's not like by calling instead of raising you conceal your hand - lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure you do. it looks much more like a decent pocket pair. obv not 100% but it is less defined.

I play most streets diffently here, starting with a PF raise. as played you should either bet the turn or raise the river - you're leaving money on the table. I think raising the river is great, you probably only put 2bbs in vs. AK where if you bet the turn it's probably 3. but, I really doubt he's folding good pairs on the turn. could be wrong I guess. BUT, if he will fold hands like qq/jj on the turn your flop raise is a disaster.