Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 11:40 PM

Default Wireless connection speed

I know how ridiculous wireless networks are to troubleshoot through a forum, but I thought it would be worth a shot just to see if anybody has anything I could try:

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and use Windows XP. Most of the time, the Connection Speed is 54 Mbps (from the wireless connection tray icon). However, at seemingly random times, it drops dramatically. It can go to 36, 24, 18, 11, 5.5 or even 1 Mbps and my internet connection slows to a grind. The signal strength is always Excellent, and I use WPA so nobody else can use my connection. Any ideas what might be causing the slowdowns or how to get the speed back up after it drops?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Wireless connection speed

The WRT54G is a great router. I use it and I've used it on every customer installation I've done. Usually, when your connection speed drops, so does the signal strength. They go hand in hand.

My first and obvious thought would be you are simply getting a bad signal between your router and your computer. (Laptop or desktop?) If it's a laptop and you are moving around that would make sense. If it's a desktop or you aren't moving around with the laptop, it could be some sort or interferance. I can go into my office which isn't far from my router and set my laptop on my desk and have perfect signal strength. Then every once in awhile it will drop down and then pick back up. Pretty crazy.lol

If you're 100% sure it's not a signal problem because of the pc's location, then I might think you are having router trouble.

I can't imagine you would keep an excellent signal but loose speed, but anything is possible. If so, you might check on upgrading the drivers for your wireless card in your pc and maybe even updating the drivers for the WRT54G.

One thing that will definatly cause wireless routers to do weird things and loose signal power is locating them near alot of wiring. Access panels, circuit breakers, etc can really mess with the signal. Just a thought.

Sorry I'm not alot of help but like ya said, it isn't easy diagnosing it over the net.lol