Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will you eat raw red meat?
yes 106 59.89%
no 47 26.55%
depends (explain below) 24 13.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Charity Event, what is you cutoff for the buyin ratio???

I was asked to run a charity tournament next month and would like to poll everyone what they would buy into based on a % of the money being donated to the organization. Be reasonable to what you would donate.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Charity Event, what is you cutoff for the buyin ratio???

At the college I attend, clubs/organizations are only allowed to organize poker tournaments if the club donates at least 50% of the buy in to charity. Even doing that, most of the tournaments have attracted a sizable field and I've never really heard of anyone deciding to not play because of half the prize pool being donated to charity.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM

60/40 seems fair to me
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 AM

When I run them I usually make it either 90-10 or 75-25 depending on how many entrants I expect. I also run several tournies for said charities so I run a "quantity over quality" approach. It sounds like you're running one only so 60-40 might be more appropriate.

Cody
Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 AM

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority, but I would play with 100% going to charity. Doing that would let you lower the buy-in -- meaning more players -- and you could get some groovy prizes donated as gifts for top finishers.

For instance -- and, obviously, I'm saying this not knowing what the charity is or how deep the pockets on your donors are:

$75 buy-in
1st prize - 500 ct. poker chip set (see if NJ or someone would donate it -- it can be a tax deduction + advertising for them)
2nd prize - 300 ct. poker chip set
3rd prize - Copag card set, etc.

Or, if you are feeling adventerous, try to get some bigger non-poker gifts for first place. You could probably get a local electronics store to donate a TV or something. Meal gift certificates to nice restaurants are good too.

Anyway, good luck with the tourney.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority, but I would play with 100% going to charity. Doing that would let you lower the buy-in -- meaning more players -- and you could get some groovy prizes donated as gifts for top finishers.

For instance -- and, obviously, I'm saying this not knowing what the charity is or how deep the pockets on your donors are:

$75 buy-in
1st prize - 500 ct. poker chip set (see if NJ or someone would donate it -- it can be a tax deduction + advertising for them)
2nd prize - 300 ct. poker chip set
3rd prize - Copag card set, etc.

Or, if you are feeling adventerous, try to get some bigger non-poker gifts for first place. You could probably get a local electronics store to donate a TV or something. Meal gift certificates to nice restaurants are good too.

Anyway, good luck with the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea is good, but your prizes are a little... undervalued. It would have to be like a decent TV or something for first place for me to consider doing this.

ANyways, I never play in the events around here because it's $75 to get in, of which they pay out 95%, but they also require an aditional $20 for food and drinks (no free beer). So, this is kinda ridiculous. Apparently they get a very high number of players though and they are pretty bad, so it might be worth it some day if I have absolutely nothing to do and feel like -EV of the $20 is worth the entertainment and food, but I don't ever go looking for it.

I know it would never work, but I would feel much more comfortable if they just had a donation box or something, pay the buyin, and donate $10 or whatever on your own.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM

I would go atleast 50/50 with maybe even 60% going to chartiy. Remember it is a chartiy event and players going in should understand the reason behind the event. If someone wants to pass because too much is going to chartiy then so be it. Maybe you can get some small prizes that you can draw to give away like hats or something like it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM

I don't know about th eothers here but I would say that anything above 25% to charity is WAY TOO HIGH. Unless I had a personal stake in getting the charity some money I would never play in an event that raked more than 25% for charity. If you do get this going, with a higher split to the charity, you may find that there simply aren't enough players willing to play.

I understand that this is a difficult issue and your situation might be different, but the expectation that players should give up a sizable chunk of their buy in to a charitable cause is, in my experience, a recipe for low turnout. You would be better off donating a smaller amount and/or mitigating the smaller prize pool with some donated goods from local businesses (who can advertise at your event for example).

GL and I hope your tourney works out.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about th eothers here but I would say that anything above 25% to charity is WAY TOO HIGH. Unless I had a personal stake in getting the charity some money I would never play in an event that raked more than 25% for charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you understand the concept of charity?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:41 PM

I've played in a number of charity tournaments and never really care about the split. I answered 50/50 above because I would play in a 50/50 tournament. Given the choice of course I'd want more money in the prize pool.

There are quite a few "I'm just here to donate money to the charity." type folks in these tournaments. Anyone who stays away because the split is too big for the charity is exactly the kind of person I DON'T want in the tournament.

edit: spelling