Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Default PP $11 - Line Check with AK on Bubble

PartyPoker $11 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t3533)
Button (t3195)
SB (t3332)
BB (t9940)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t200

Flop: (t900) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t500</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t1000</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2633 (All-in)</font>, BB calls t2133

Turn: (t7166) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t7166) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

BB was aggressive, decent player.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Re: PP $11 - Line Check with AK on Bubble

I don't like the min-raise. You can afford to make a natural raise. Raising to t500-t600 will often prompt BB to push over you, which you call. The rest of the hand is fine, it's not like you can possibly get away from it on the flop or something.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 PM

I would raise 475 preflop and bet a little less than pot on flop, and I go allin if he raise.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the min-raise. You can afford to make a natural raise. Raising to t500-t600 will often prompt BB to push over you, which you call. The rest of the hand is fine, it's not like you can possibly get away from it on the flop or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I despise the min-raise. I hate the very idea of the min-raise. In fact, I hate the actual words min-raise. Somehow I clicked the button though.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:33 PM

i think this is a good spot to open push because a standard raise with these stack sizes is more than likely going to be raised by the big stack on the bubble. granted we would still call and be ahead but i would much rather take down the 300 for the blinds than have a 60/40 hand and chance to go bust. btw, the min raise is terrible.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a good spot to open push because a standard raise with these stack sizes is more than likely going to be raised by the big stack on the bubble. granted we would still call and be ahead but i would much rather take down the 300 for the blinds than have a 60/40 hand and chance to go bust. btw, the min raise is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this advice. Pushing from the CO when you have 17BB with any hand seems wrong to me. You have a great hand and you are relatively deep stacked for a bubble. Raise to 500 and play post flop (gasp). I would probably fold to a push from any of the players preflop (barring reads) mainly because this bubble is set up great for you with the big stack on your right.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this advice. Pushing from the CO when you have 17BB with any hand seems wrong to me. You have a great hand and you are relatively deep stacked for a bubble. Raise to 500 and play post flop (gasp). I would probably fold to a push from any of the players preflop (barring reads) mainly because this bubble is set up great for you with the big stack on your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

you gave the exact reason why pushing pf is good here because you dont have to fold to a raise and with pushing you dont leave yourself to get bluffed out. 4 handed with very similar stack sizes amongst the 3 left besides the bigstack folding ak here in this situation is a very bad move.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you gave the exact reason why pushing pf is good here because you dont have to fold to a raise and with pushing you dont leave yourself to get bluffed out. 4 handed with very similar stack sizes amongst the 3 left besides the bigstack folding ak here in this situation is a very bad move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly dont "hate" a call to a repush over the preflop raise. The main reason I said I would fold in this situation is because of the way the bubble is set up for the hero. I guess the question is standard preflop raise or push? If the blinds were 200-400 then it is an autopush. IMHO the 300 you win here isnt really significant to your stack. Another factor I take into consideration is table image. When the blinds go up I will probably be pushing quite a bit into the other short stacks. By pushing here and taking down the blinds I am also "loosening up" my table image. If Hero's stack was under 3k or so I might be more inclined to push this. If Hero was on the button and big stack had folded I might push this. Given the situation in the OP I stand by the standard preflop raise.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM

Don't min raise pre-flop. I would pot the flop, and need to know villain real well to lay this down at an $11. The min check raise is either 2pair+ or Ax, depends on the player.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:24 AM

pushign preflop is horrible. raise to 500 and then push over his raise