Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 AM

Default I fold a set

I normally never fold a set, did I do the right thing?
Pre flop viillian is a 46 vpip 7 pfr type player. Aggression factor albeit small sample was about 1.4 so not over aggro.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 AM

Default Re: I fold a set

dude.... just.. dude. wtf. You absolutely butchered this whole damn hand. preflop is the only street i don't hate, though I have to know it's a passive table to do that.

flop: bet it man.
turn: cap it.
river: if he leads, then call. if not bet. You HAVE to call this. The 8 didn't change much. with his high vpip he has so many weird two pair.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 AM

Yeah, I think somebody on this board once made the point that if you don't lose an absolute ton of BBs when your sets get cracked you've played it wrong. Flop is a must bet...what's scary about this board? Turn is a cap, river is at least a call.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:33 AM

i read the title and thought: yeah, i would fold a set on a 4-flush, 4-broadway board. then i saw your hand and [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
vpip 47 and AF 1.4 is aggressive. okay, its not maniacal but its far away from passive postflop.
for the hand:
bet the flop! would you bet 67? do youbet flush draws? do you bet top pairs? why dont you bet here?
since you dont bet the flop you cant ever fold in this hand. he is the small blind. he could play 44/AA any 2pair hand this way. he could play a pair and a draw this way (and the most obvious draw just arrived on the river) but there is no way you are not good 1 in 9 times.
fold preflop
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 AM

loss for words
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude.... just.. dude. wtf. You absolutely butchered this whole damn hand. preflop is the only street i don't hate, though I have to know it's a passive table to do that.

flop: bet it man.
turn: cap it.
river: if he leads, then call. if not bet. You HAVE to call this. The 8 didn't change much. with his high vpip he has so many weird two pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM

bet the futhermucking flop. you have grossly underrepresented your hand up to this point, so you may still be good. yuck.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 AM

I realise its an awful hand,
pre flop is standard for me.
Flop, I was hoping CO would bet so I could raise.

Is the turn an auto cap given straight possibilty out there?
Ok, if I cap turn, do I bet river, what if raised?

River I should have called, I was not happy that I folded but it was a decision I took too quickly and regretted.
(Late short session with some drink in me, my excuse anyway, although i thought id at least question the river fold.)
Old 07-10-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, if I cap turn, do I bet river, what if raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd cap and lead, calling a raise. I think the only really bad thing you can do anywhere in this hand is fold.

On the bright side, folding too much is a much more easily-cured leak than calling too much, which is what players do.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop, I was hoping CO would bet so I could raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you had a very LAG read on CO and knew he bets anytime its checked to him, then going for a check/raise is fine. If there is any chance that CO will check behind, then bet this. And in most cases, unless CO was a preflop raiser, you have to be betting this cuz you are going to be missing out on too much value the times it gets checked through.