Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Flopped Straight in 5-Way Pot

Early in my time at this table, no strong reads on any participants in this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($51.90)
CO ($73.10)
Button ($51.58)
SB ($56.05)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($86.35)
UTG+1 ($15.33)
UTG+2 ($75.80)
MP1 ($54.64)
MP2 ($74.18)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, MP2 calls $2, MP3 calls $2, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($12.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $24.77</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls $36 (All-In)

Given the number of people to act behind me, I thought it was pretty likely by just calling on the flop, I would get some overcalls at least, and hopefully someone behind would raise and help me trap some money in the pot.

On the turn, a bloody ton of people called, but the turn card is a big blank. Once the original bettor checked, I decided that a pot-sized bet was in order given how many callers there were on the flop. MP2 reraises me, the rest fold, so I decided to jam so nothing scared him off on the river.

My big question is on the flop. Do you like calling on the flop to induce action behind, or do you just raise yourself? Is this just FPS?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Flopped Straight in 5-Way Pot

Not wild about the flop play. You've got the 2nd best possible hand with no room for improvement, and you're giving everyone a cheap card without learning anything about what they're holding.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:28 AM

Raise the flop. If the board pairs on the turn or another 9 rolls off, you are going to be faced with a difficult decision.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 AM

raise the flop for those who are waiting for the 9 and hold a T or something. Your hand is still vulnerable with 2 cards to come and you don't have the nuts.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 AM

My hand is really only screwed by a 9 on the turn, though I lose action/split with a ten coming. If someone has a set on this flop, they will almost always raise and reopen the action to me, so letting a set draw chealy is unlikely to be an issue.

I feel like just calling here is a somewhat risky play with pretty good reward on a board like this. The range of hands that limps will often include hands that made two pair/set on this flop, are are likely to raise and let me put in another big bet and trap other money in the pot. Even everyone calling like they did built the pot up to help get more money in.

On the other hand, the same hands that will raise will also call my raise, so raising is probably the way to go.