Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Most ignominious Career exits

Hard to believe that the same player who inspired me to create the other thread has inspired this one. But Zidane's exit is pretty spectacularly bad for an athlete of that quality.

Winners of this award will doubtless be a bunch of great boxers who ended up being KOed by bums.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Most ignominious Career exits

Well, it's not the same thing, but it's kind of hard to forget Joe Theisman's last play.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to believe that the same player who inspired me to create the other thread has inspired this one. But Zidane's exit is pretty spectacularly bad for an athlete of that quality.

Winners of this award will doubtless be a bunch of great boxers who ended up being KOed by bums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time thinking the winner of this thread can be anyone other than ZZ. That was among the most shocking and incomprehensible things I can ever recall seeing in sport.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:35 PM

The scene of Zidane leaving the field passing by the trophy was one of the saddest scenes i have ever saw.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the thread title.

Or any mouthy up-and-comer that hit the brick-wall of the reigning champ, of course.

Or almost everyone that fought Hagler.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time thinking the winner of this thread can be anyone other than ZZ. That was among the most shocking and incomprehensible things I can ever recall seeing in sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

not as bad as Tyson biting the ear, which probably should have ended his career
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not as bad as Tyson biting the ear, which probably should have ended his career

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it should've but it didn't.

I'd suggest that this was worse. I acknowledge that it could be debated and the Tyson thing was indeed heinous. But his was a premeditated vicious act that could have killed. And for it to happen in the world's biggest and greatest event, in the final, to one of the game's all-time greats, moments before the end, when he's needed for PK's, in the last game of his career, is simply on a level that I still have difficulty grasping.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The scene of Zidane leaving the field passing by the trophy was one of the saddest scenes i have ever saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it unbelievably hilarious.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM

Zidane's may be the most notable, but it's really far from unprecedented. I don't get to see the sport much outside of the cup, but offhand I tihnk of Figo's headbutt in this tournament vs Holland. And much grosser than either was Ortega's headbutt of the Dutch goal keeper in 98. I don't dispute the card or the stupidity of the action (also cf Beckham 98), but I really don't think that nod to the chest would cause much if any harm or pain--the drop to the ground was in large part a dive. Now compare Ortega 98. He had just taken a gross dive in the box late in the elimination match. Dutch keeper stands over him and berates him. He leaps up from teh ground full power into the Dutch guy's chin from underneath. That was a violent assault. Zidane's was just stupid.

summary: zidane (like Beckham 98)--stunningly dumb. ortega 98--criminal, shocking, vile.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the drop to the ground was in large part a dive

[/ QUOTE ]

"lol"