Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 05:02 AM

Default What to make of villain\'s line?

Villain hasn't gotten out of line over a small sample of hands. He's running about 29/10ish. I turned top two pair, but the way he check/called the flop then led the turn really scared me. I folded the river. It felt really weak, but I just got a really bad gut feeling that I was crushed.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($35.13)
CO ($102.50)
Button ($96.55)
SB ($32.49)
BB ($90.53)
Hero ($120.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($9) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB folds, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($21) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12.

River: ($45) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB calls $69.53 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $114.53
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Re: What to make of villain\'s line?

he has 5x usually, straight rarely, bluff very rare
Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 AM

i think he has spades sometimes.

is raising the turn and folding to a push reasonable? you will likely get a free showdown with a turn raise.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he has spades sometimes.

is raising the turn and folding to a push reasonable? you will likely get a free showdown with a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spades or a stupidly played AK were the only hands I could see him doing this with I beat. Any meaningful turn raise (to ~$45 or so) leaves villain with like $30 left so I don't think raise/fold to shove is an option on the turn.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I turned top two pair, but the way he check/called the flop then led the turn really scared me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you played this hand, but I wanted to ask why a c/c on the flop and then a turn lead scares you? IMO, that line is generally made with a hand like 88, especially on a board like this. Basically the villain can't really lead the flop or c/r the flop, so he instead leads the turn to test your c-bet and find out if his hand is good.

I'm not saying he had that hand here, especially not b/c he pushed the river, I'm just saying I think in general the c/c flop, lead turn line is often a weakish hand.