Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Hand from Stars $100+9 Deep Stack

Hand was early in the tournament so I have no reads on Villain. I'd like to know if you would have played any streets up to the river differently and what your river decision would be. Thanks.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t4385)
UTG+1 (t4880)
MP1 (t5180)
MP2 (t4840)
MP3 (t4855)
CO (t4820)
Button (t5160)
Hero (t4610)
BB (t6270)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t20, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t10, BB checks

Flop: (t80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t60</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP3 calls t60

Turn: (t200) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t100</font>, <font color="red">MP3 raises to t200</font>, Hero calls t100

River: (t600) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="red">MP3 raises to t4575 (All-in)</font>, Hero?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Hand from Stars $100+9 Deep Stack

Pre - Fine
Flop - I really dont like leading out here. Against thinking players, this is going to look REALLY strong, and allow them to release their hands really easily. So you are going to get called by donks (Which there aren't a lot of in this tourney) and big hands, and an outside chance that you are drawing dead.
Turn - You just picked up a big draw, why not let your opponent define his hand a bit and find out where he thinks he is?
River - Very easy fold. He showed strenght on the flop, on the turn, and on the river, and you made a hand that is really vulnerable. You only have 580 invested, no reason to spew here. There will be lots of opportunities later.

Nick
Old 07-08-2006, 08:16 PM

I think you played this well i think i would get cashed out here.

Maybe check the river here and call any? im not sure
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 PM

check the turn, and maybe the flop, too
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 PM

The players in this tournament are probably a lot better than my usual competition, but villian looks like he has a bare 9 to me, except for pushing the river...I don't know. I'd probably call because I seem to default to call when I don't know what else to do.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:01 PM

You're probably against quad nines or nines full of sixes here. Loose player limping with 9h 6h hoping to hit a monster or tight one limping 9h 9d. Villain would have raised Ac Kc or Ac Qc preflop but folded on flop. Tho if villain had called with Ac-Xc on flop, re-raise on turn is out of question and nut flush would not push river when pot is that small. Easy fold for you.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably against quad nines or nines full of sixes here. Loose player limping with 9h 6h hoping to hit a monster or tight one limping 9h 9d. Villain would have raised Ac Kc or Ac Qc preflop but folded on flop. Tho if villain had called with Ac-Xc on flop, re-raise on turn is out of question and nut flush would not push river when pot is that small. Easy fold for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a boat is likely here. The miniraise on the turn followed by the push looks like a big hand. In any case, you have flush, but you can only beat a bluff. An overbet bluff is unlikely.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think a boat is likely here. The miniraise on the turn followed by the push looks like a big hand. In any case, you have flush, but you can only beat a bluff. An overbet bluff is unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that trip 9's (89s,910s) plays this any differently?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre - Fine
Flop - I really dont like leading out here. Against thinking players, this is going to look REALLY strong, and allow them to release their hands really easily. So you are going to get called by donks (Which there aren't a lot of in this tourney) and big hands, and an outside chance that you are drawing dead.
Turn - You just picked up a big draw, why not let your opponent define his hand a bit and find out where he thinks he is?
River - Very easy fold. He showed strenght on the flop, on the turn, and on the river, and you made a hand that is really vulnerable. You only have 580 invested, no reason to spew here. There will be lots of opportunities later.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with saying we should check the flop. What's bad about looking strong and opponents releasing their hand? We want to take it down on the flop and we don't want to see the turn where multiple opponents could hit a pair.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that trip 9's (89s,910s) plays this any differently?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think trip 9s flat calls when the flush card hits and certainly doesn't overbet push.

Trip 9s also would probably raise more on the turn with all the possible draws.