Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Betting from the blind

This is an actual hand I just played but the question is more about the general situation

Lets say theres one limper , the SB completes and I check in the BB

$5/$10 NL...6 max....The flop comes 762. If the SB checks, I am betting the flop no matter what I have almost every time. So I bet $20. He folds about 75% of the time so its profitable. But when he calls, I usually have to give up and check / fold. Lets say the turn is a 3.

I could have anything from KJ to A9 to QTs. Im going to check fold most of the time because I have nothing most of the time. If there was a flush draw on the flop I may fire out 2/3 pot again and hope he goes away but for the most part Im giving up.

In this scenario, most people are going to bet when I check. If they are any good at all, they are betting here no matter what they have. Thats the beauty of position.

So the question is this.....what do I do if I have 54 in this same hand? I just hit my straight. Odds are that the villain has very little. Overcards maybe? A7?

How do I make the most money against his range of hands which is very wide? Forget about him having something like a set because if thats the case, we're getting all in no matter what I do.

If I bet the turn he folds overcards. if I check, he bets overcards. Even if he doesnt bet something like KQ, he surely folds it if I bet but he might check behind and river a K or Q in which case I get more money from him that I wouldve by betting the turn.

Thoughts?

In the actual hand, the flop was 762 and I had 54, I bet $20 and he called. Turn was the listed 3. I checked and he bet $40 into the $70 pot (full stacks). Normally I would bet this turn but Im wondering if its more profitable to check since his range of hands with this flop is so wide.

If the flop was K62 and the turn was the 3, I would bet hoping he would call me down with TP or even raise me, but with this rag board is there a benefit to checking to induce a bet?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Betting from the blind

I don't really mind a check. Kind've depends on your double barrel frequencies and how often you are doing it. Checking induces a bet from a probable float/allows you to maximize your value in some situations (ie vs LAGs, TAGs who are floating, etc).

Leading here is fine as well (obviously). Checking in this spot helps vary your lines and is good in mixing up your play.