Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Anyone who knows Microsoft Excel

Ok, I think this is probably easy to do, but I have yet to figure how to do so.

I have an Excel file where I have 2 sheets in use. I want to display the information from a cell on sheet 2 into a cell on sheet 1. Whenever I open sheet 1, I want it to display what that cell in sheet 2 is displaying, even when I change things in sheet 2, which will cause that cell to change its info. Is that explained well enough? Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Anyone who knows Microsoft Excel

1. Click on Tools --> Options. Click on the Calculation tab and select Automatic. Click OK to get back into the worksheet. (This automatically updates all cells in your workbook so any cell references are updated without any action on your part other than populated the value in the cell)

2. In the cell on Sheet1 that you want to display the results from the cell Sheet2 populate it with the following:

=Sheet2!A1

Where A1 is the cell number on Sheet2 that is your source.

Edit: Added some description as to what the options change is doing.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Anyone who knows Microsoft Excel

[ QUOTE ]
1. Click on Tools --> Options. Click on the Calculation tab and select Automatic. Click OK to get back into the worksheet. (This automatically updates all cells in your workbook so any cell references are updated without any action on your part other than populated the value in the cell)

2. In the cell on Sheet1 that you want to display the results from the cell Sheet2 populate it with the following:

=Sheet2!A1

Where A1 is the cell number on Sheet2 that is your source.

Edit: Added some description as to what the options change is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help. Interestingly, I stumbled across this, but it didn't work. After knowing for sure that this was the way to do it, I realized that the reason it wasn't working is that I had renamed sheet 2. So, I just inserted the name rather than "Sheet2" and it worked. Thanks much for the help.