Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM

Default 1/2 Bay 101 Lots of heat with JJ

Pretty typical lineup, I am stuck about a rack at the time. Solid generally straighforward regular (yet oddly playes the UB 300/600 game onlie) opens in LMP. I three bet JJ OTB. Unknown at the time but later proving to be bad cold caps it from the BB. 3 to the flop.

Flop comes 357, with 2 diamonds (I'm pretty sure this was it, but Fianchetto can chime in if he remembers teh flop slightly different). BB bets, MP calls I call. Turn is an offsuit 8. BB bets, MP rasies, I ????

Only other note is that MP got hugely out of line in a hand vs Fianchetto earlier in the session where he three bet Fianchetto's turn check raise when the board paired, then bet the river and turned over a weak ace, no pair no draw to lose to Fianchetto's trips. However, he later claimed that he had misread his hand........
Old 07-07-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Bay 101 Lots of heat with JJ

I think you have enough equity to raise the flop in a 1/2 game, especially after LMP just calls, and I think this would make it somewhat easier to play the hand later on.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM

I don't believe his misreading his hand story, and I think I can find a 3 bet on the turn.

BTW, I'm thinking of taking a shot at this game. How often do you play it? I've seen some donaters from 40/80 sitting in it pretty frequently, but I don't know how good it is overall.

If you have any info you wouldn't mind sharing (by PM perhaps) I would be appreciative.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 PM

I think the turn is a raise or fold situation, and I would give strong consideration to folding.

So far the BB has capped preflop from the blinds, and lead the flop and the turn into two other players (a preflop raiser and 3-bettor). Granted the BB is unknown, but this is generally a pretty big hand. On top of that MP raises him on the turn. For you to be ahead, we are praying that BB has AK, and MP has 99/TT. Although that scenario is possible, I think much more often you are drawing to two outs here.

Now if you really think MP could make this play with 99 or TT, then I can see merit in a turn 3-bet as you would put a lot of pressure on a possible AA/KK in the BB by representing a set. But if MP held nines or tens he would usually raise the flop, right? He should be worried about you hanging around with AK/AQ.

So for this to work:

1. BB has to be able to fold a better hand to a turn 3-bet.
2. You need to be ahead of MP.
3. MP decided not to raise the flop, but waited to raise the turn with 99/TT.

It's a bit of a stretch in my opinion, but it could be a great play, I just think the pot is so big now that you are going to have to showdown the best hand to win it, and I don't think you have the best hand very often here.

Also, as far as MP getting out of line with me, that was in a heads up pot that was more of a blind steal scenario. This is 3-way, so I think he is much less likely to be making some kind of move here.

As Nate suggested too, that is a pretty good flop for jacks, raising there is an option.

Game was pretty good when I left, how much longer did you play?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:48 PM

Fian,

I think you're giving MP a much too narrow range on the turn. Remember that he was the first one to put his money in the pot before the flop, so hands like A8 and 66 are very possible.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fian,

I think you're giving MP a much too narrow range on the turn. Remember that he was the first one to put his money in the pot before the flop, so hands like A8 and 66 are very possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I am giving him too narrow a range, but I don't know if he even sees a flop with something like A8 for two more bets preflop, let alone peels one off on the flop. And a hand like 66 would be raising the flop I think.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM

looks like a orutine fold to me... other streets look stamdard as well...

even if u can put the MP player on a weakish SD hand, how often can u expect to be ahead of a typical BB after this action... itd be rare.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks like a orutine fold to me... other streets look stamdard as well...

even if u can put the MP player on a weakish SD hand, how often can u expect to be ahead of a typical BB after this action... itd be rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't pick up all that much from BB apart from what we learned preflop, since any reasonable hand that we're ahead of (99/TT/AK/AQs) will usually continue to bet given this board/action.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I'm thinking of taking a shot at this game. How often do you play it? I've seen some donaters from 40/80 sitting in it pretty frequently, but I don't know how good it is overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of the times the 1/2 game is better than the 40/80 imo.

though some of the regs at 1/2 are pretty tough.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 PM

I would most likely call the turn. I don't think reraising achieves much, and given the lateness of the openraiser, I'm not happy folding.