Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
 is offline

Default Slipping a Rolled Up Bill

Situation: You check into a hotel in <enter your favorite getaway spot>. You've booked the standard room. Upon checking in, you slide a folded <enter correct amount> bill to the guy at the front desk with a sly "Oh, and if there's anything you can do to see if there are any suites available."

Has this ever actually worked for anyone? If so, please share special tactics, one-liners, and suggested amounts.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Slipping a Rolled Up Bill

Old 07-07-2006, 11:26 AM

In a hotel, slide the folded up $20 or whatever along with your credit card.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this work without an accompanying 1-liner? What if the dude at the front desk is confused, and assumes for some weird reason, you want to pay for $20 of the room in cash?

Also... $20?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Didn't that work in like 1970?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 AM

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, before I went to chicago, I was told to just be nice to teh front desk lady, which I was, I aksed if she had any upgrades available, she did, and we got our standard room at the Hyatt upgraded, it was only a free 40$ a day, not the rainman suite or anything, but it was cool.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this work without an accompanying 1-liner? What if the dude at the front desk is confused, and assumes for some weird reason, you want to pay for $20 of the room in cash?

Also... $20?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Didn't that work in like 1970?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply ask "Would it be possible to get a nice room/higher floor/whatever you specifically want?" while sliding the card over.

Re: $20, it really depends on what kind of upgrade you are looking for and how long you are staying. If you have a week long stay, you could try $50 or $100 and nicely ask if they have any deluxe rooms or suites available. Desk clerks actually have quite a bit of autonomy in terms of room assignment.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 AM
 is offline

This will be at a fairly nice Vegas hotel (~$150/night), staying for a week. And I'm looking to go the whole 9 yards and get the nicest suite possible.

I've argued with my friends who say you'll need more than $100 to do this. I can't understand the concept of sliding more than 1 bill folded up as it would be impossible for the person to discern how much was in there.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Question: If the clerk tries to find something but can't, does he get to keep my money?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Question: If the clerk tries to find something but can't, does he get to keep my money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you can get him fired for this. It's like the built-in safety net of this act.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:56 PM

Did this 3 years ago at Paris.

Walked up to check-in. Slipped the hundo and inquired if there were any "free" upgrades available. Clerk went to check with his supervisor. In reality, I believe they were splitting the tip and deciding how much of an upgrade was appropriate.

Long story -short. Instead of the $135/night standard room I was upgraded to a $350/night suite. The suite was equipped with 2 baths, one with jacuzzi, wetbar, workstation, etc. Services included twice daily maid service complete with fresh flowers, turn down service and key to the concierge suite. Additionally, I was assigned a host. I had limo service wherever I wanted to go and if reservatons or show tickets were required just had to make one call. This was for a 4 night stay. A real SUITE deal.

One word of advice. If you want to live like a high roller you have to tip like one. The greasing of palms does not stop at teh front desk.