Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Default CFA questions

Anybody a CFA (Certified Financial Analyst). Just wondering how long does it usually take to complete all the requirements and do you think it was worth it?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: CFA questions

It takes at least 2-1/2 years depending on you passing all the exams consecutively. Yes, it was worth it for me but it depends on what you want to do.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:23 PM

It is actually called Chartered Financial Analyst (not Certified) and technically you can complete it in 2.5 years. The Level I exam is given twice a year (June & December) and the Level II & III are given once a year. The CFA institute recommends at least 250 hours of preparation for the level I test which is roughly 2 hours a day for 4 months straight and the tests only escalate in difficulty. I plan on completing my CFA in a span of 4 years as it is difficult working 60+ hours a week, studying and having a 'life'. From what I have seen becoming a CFA (level III) is very similar to having an MBA and in some instances even better.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:26 PM

regular chicken sandwich on wheat, deluxe (lettuce and tomato), extra pickles, packet of mayo.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm also wondering is an CFA versatile? (like is it useful for a great deal of jobs) I have a bachelor in Computer Engineering and am working as a software developer currently but I know it's not for me. I have always been interesting in investing(both real estate and stocks/sercurities) and am just exploring other career options right now. I am just wondering if CFA would be something valuable to me.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 PM

I hate when I get a Chicken Sandwich and they put those pickles on it. Seems like I always forget it comes with it, and then when i bite down im like WTF.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the replies. I'm also wondering is an CFA versatile? (like is it useful for a great deal of jobs) I have a bachelor in Computer Engineering and am working as a software developer currently but I know it's not for me. I have always been interesting in investing(both real estate and stocks/sercurities) and am just exploring other career options right now. I am just wondering if CFA would be something valuable to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in the exact same boat as you, minus the work part. PM me if you wanna chat.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 PM

If you're going to work in the investment management industry, it's getting to where you almost have to have it. It's not nearly as useful anywhere else, particularly given the amount of time you'll put in getting it. It's not at all like an MBA, which is generally much broader.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 PM

The CFA has its own forum which you might want to look at for some more detailed answers.

http://www.analystforum.com/
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 PM

I got two coupons in the mail today for free milkshakes. One free with the purchase of any sandwich and the other free with a combo. Expires September 30.