Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 05:22 AM

Default Florida Stops Tournaments Again

Once again the Division of Paramutuel Wagering and has determined that poker tournaments may be illegal.

Here is the press release from Derby Lane in St Petersburg.
www.derbylanepoker.com

To Our Loyal Patrons
January 18, 2006
Poker Tournaments Suspended Until Further Notice

Effective immediately, St. Petersburg Kennel Club is suspending tournament play. In a recent memorandum to all Pari-Mutuel General Managers, and Card Room Managers, David Roberts, Director, Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering, has asserted his view that the use of tournament chips that do not permit an even value exchange for money is a violation of Chapter 849.086 (8) (b), Florida Statutes governing card rooms.

While this same view was expressed to permitholders in November as "a non binding informal evaluation", Director Roberts, in his memorandum now is threatening action against permitholders "that result in fines, suspension or revocation of both the applicable cardroom license and pari-mutuel permit". More ominous though, Director Roberts is suggesting that employees may be subject to criminal charges.

St. Petersburg Kennel Club vigorously disagrees with Director Roberts's assertions and interpretations. His implied threat against employees however has caused the company to suspend tournaments rather than to risk any arbitrary acts by the State against employees. St. Petersburg Kennel Club will seek recourse to this action by utilizing all available legal resources.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we continue to resolve the matter.

Sincerely,
Vey Weaver, President
Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Florida Stops Tournaments Again

Playing in tourneys here in Florida is retarded to begin with. Vig is ridiculous and they charge the maximum entry fee whether or not its a 250-person tourney or a 9-person SNG.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM

I agree with the state's assertion that these tournaments are "detrimental to the public welfare" with those ridiculous entry fees and blind structures. They should be banned.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:00 AM

I agree with those giant rakes on the tournaments and the super-high blinds designed to get as many tourneys as possible with a complete disreguard to tournament quality. Florida people you are playing on the best poker room in your state right now just reload at Party and sit down and have fun!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Well that F'ING SUCKS!!!!

I LOVE playing live mtts and I FULLY realize the shaft we FL players take with the vig, structures, etc...but GAWD DAMN THIS BLOWS!

I had EVERY intention of spending the day at Silks tomorrow.....FARK ME!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:00 AM

Just talked to Murph at Silks and they are still running their tourneys....get 'em while ya can!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:12 PM

hard rock

the vig is still ridiculous, but at least you can play for real stakes.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM

is hard rock immune cause of the indian reservation status thingy? I played there earlier this month SNG's have buy ins too high... 40 and 80's are sats playing 1st only so if you want a real shot at a 3 man pay out you have to pay min of 200ish

Straight Flushes,

SAM

P.S. I guess this means that they won't be allowing NLHE cash games anytime soon either? lol
Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM

Explain "detrimental to the public welfare" and why you agree with it - I'm completely cornfused? Besides, Silks has a better tournament anyhow, IMO.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Explain "detrimental to the public welfare" and why you agree with it - I'm completely cornfused? Besides, Silks has a better tournament anyhow, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "detrimental to the public morals and welfare" they mean "not compatible with the Puritanical point of view" and to a lesser extent "big enough action to allow professional poker players to exist".