Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Default New $5 drop at Bay 101... please stab me.

As if I needed more incentive to play primarily online, the 20/40 and 40/80 at Bay 101 are now charging $5 if there's a flop, which is effectively a 100% to $5 rake. Which means that it costs about $20-30/hr to play 7 handed 20/40 now. Gahhhhh.

The effects of this are fairly negligible for 40/80, and actually make the 100/200 slightly cheaper, but for 20/40, this is ludicrous. Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: New $5 drop at Bay 101... please stab me.

What is the rake specifically?

$5 at flop and nothing else?

Play primarily online! What was the rake at 100-200?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM

This sounds cheap enough. Not as cheap as places used to be, but I don't think it will drive away players.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the rake specifically?

$5 at flop and nothing else?

Play primarily online! What was the rake at 100-200?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's $1 no flop, $5 if there's a flop. Formerly it was $7/hh, then changed to $4 drop at 20/40, $9/hh at 40/80, and $11/hh at 100/200.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds cheap enough. Not as cheap as places used to be, but I don't think it will drive away players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bay Area players are not very price sensitive compared to Tunica or Vegas, imo. I think the rake would have to increase significantly more before people REALLY took notice.

The one time I played 20/40 since the change, I did notice that when 6-8 handed, the game had more chops than previously. This may be a reflection on the rake, or just the table dynamic that day; I'm somewhat unsure.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bay Area players are not very price sensitive compared to Tunica or Vegas, imo. I think the rake would have to increase significantly more before people REALLY took notice.

The one time I played 20/40 since the change, I did notice that when 6-8 handed, the game had more chops than previously. This may be a reflection on the rake, or just the table dynamic that day; I'm somewhat unsure.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has always been that a higher rake leads to better games. When the rake go up some people are priced out of the market (or marginal winners become lsoers and quit). The people that are priced out of the market tend to be ones that make for a bad game (they are kind of seat fillers, they play close to break even poker but take up a seat that makes the game "less fun").
Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has always been that a higher rake leads to better games. When the rake go up some people are priced out of the market (or marginal winners become lsoers and quit). The people that are priced out of the market tend to be ones that make for a bad game (they are kind of seat fillers, they play close to break even poker but take up a seat that makes the game "less fun").

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh I disagree. I think your somewhat right but I think for a marginal winner like myself id much prefer the low rake game to the easier game..
Old 07-05-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh I disagree. I think your somewhat right but I think for a marginal winner like myself id much prefer the low rake game to the easier game..

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would. I am just saying that pricing you out of the game makes the overall gaming experience better. I think raising the rake squeezes out players in the middle; the strong palyers play against the very weak. The problem is if you take the players in the middle out you lose those players and the weak players go broke quicker (combo of higher rake and playing against stronger players).
Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As if I needed more incentive to play primarily online, the 20/40 and 40/80 at Bay 101 are now charging $5 if there's a flop, which is effectively a 100% to $5 rake. Which means that it costs about $20-30/hr to play 7 handed 20/40 now. Gahhhhh.

The effects of this are fairly negligible for 40/80, and actually make the 100/200 slightly cheaper, but for 20/40, this is ludicrous. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps many good 20/40 players will jump up for a shot a 40/80, leaving a short term offset to the higher rake.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As if I needed more incentive to play primarily online, the 20/40 and 40/80 at Bay 101 are now charging $5 if there's a flop, which is effectively a 100% to $5 rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your math is off.

At 20/40 if you see a flop, the pot size at min will be $40.

At 40/80 the min size of the pot is now $80.

There is no way this is 100% rake. $5rake = 12.5% of $40 pot and 6.25% of $80 pot.