Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Studoku

Well here we are Studoku time!!

And what exactly is studoku? That is a toughie it is a bunch of stuff. Clearly it is very similar to a sudoku puzzle but it uses images instead of numbers because I am all about little pictures. Some will think it is part jigsaw but trying to solve it that way might be very maddening.

So to be fair I will give you an overview of your goals when playing studoku. I have made 81 avatars each is 80x80 and they hold secrets. If you put these 81 images in the proper order within a 9x9(720x720) grid the secrets might be viewable if you look at it right.

So how do you figure out the locations of the avatars? You follow sudoku logic and the only thing you need to get started is a set of "given" squares. Here they are.

Here I will help you find one square just to be get you going.

I hope you have fun playing studoku it was fun for me to make.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Studoku

Old 07-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Here is the way you submit answers if you think you have solved part of the puzzle. You can post each square as you find it or wait till you think you have solved the whole thing. Up to you.

1. Quote this post.

2. Remove the "[quote ]" tag at the start and the "[/quote ]" tag at the end.

Study this grid. The images in the post you just quoted above have these filenames. a1,b1,c1... This will tell you where the images are located within the grid.

4. Change the file name of the image from a location marker (a1,b1,c2…) to the type of square you want it to be.

There are 9 colors red, orange, yellow, darkblue, lightblue, white, pink, green, and one called redwhiteandblue!

There are 9 different manners in which the fireworks explode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and yup you guessed it 9.

So just change any of the location filenames you want to the type of image you want there. If I want to change square a1 I just replace it with something like red1, lightblue6 or the good old redwhiteandblue8.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Studoku is a little crazy hey? Here are some tips to help you keep sane playing it.

There are lots of images and they need to load at the proper time and in the proper order. If there are to many images on the page it lags so you might find studoku works better in the dreaded threaded mode.

The 9x9 grid is big but it should fit nice if you view it in full screen mode, hit f11. Hit f11 to view normally again.

The animated portions of the game only "play" once. They are non-looping you should be able to view them over and over if you reload the page. If this does not work for you you might have to disable adblocking programs and be sure your browser is not caching the images. IE seemed to work the best with the tests we ran on the puzzle.

ajmargarine was a great help and helped me get most of the bugs out by doing the playtesting for me. Thanks aj!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM

EDIT: Nevermind
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Here is the template with the "given" squares filled in.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Here is the way you submit answers if you think you have solved part of the puzzle. You can post each square as you find it or wait till you think you have solved the whole thing. Up to you.

1. Quote this post with the blank squares.

Or quote this post that has the "givens" of puzzle #1 already filled in.

2. Remove the "[quote ]" tag at the start and the "[/quote ]" tag at the end.

Study this grid. The images in the post you just quoted above have these filenames. a1,b1,c1... This will tell you where the images are located within the grid.

4. Change the file name of the image from a location marker (a1,b1,c2…) to the type of square you want it to be.

There are 9 colors red, orange, yellow, darkblue, lightblue, white, pink, green, and one called redwhiteandblue!

There are 9 different manners in which the fireworks explode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and yup you guessed it 9.

So just change any of the location filenames you want to the type of image you want there. If I want to change square a1 I just replace it with something like red1, lightblue6 or the good old redwhiteandblue8.

Why is no one replying? If it sucks just say so I can take it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is no one replying? If it sucks just say so I can take it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Dude, it's been an hour, and the puzzle's a little hard to manage. Give us some time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Yes I agree it is hard to manage. I was just expecting lots of questions or complaints. I thought I was alone here for a second. lol It is working for you though?

I find it works really good in threaded mod using IE. That way only 81 images are loaded to the page at a time. I was concerned each person might see it differently depending on the computer they use. I only tested it on 3 computers but it seems the same on all of them.

Don't be afraid to share your findings at this point. I don't think you will be hurting your chances of winning. Later on near the end you might want to keep them to yourself though. But we are very far from the end.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the game, Stuey - it was lots of fun!

Surf