Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Default What are you grilling today?

Hopefully some of you have some good grilling/marinating/barbecuing ideas to share.

It's raining off and on here, so I'm not going to bother with my original plan - slow smoking a brisket and a rack of babybacks.

So I've got 5 large boneless chicken breasts, they're going to be marinated in some lemon juice and jalapeno juice, then liberally coated with lemon pepper and black pepper on the grill.

Also got jalapeno sausages to be wrapped in tortillas and hot mustard.

Sides are going to be garlic mashed potatoes, baked beans, some corn, and salads.

Does that sound like a lot for two people and a dog?...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Re: What are you grilling today?

Thats alotta food, we did a brisket, salmon, babyback, and stl style ribs on saturday, the brisket had some kind of chilli sauce that my friend made, it was really good. Today I think its just going to be simple hot dogs, hamburgers, and salsissa, or somethi8ng along those lines....hmmm maybe steak sandwhiches on cheese garlic bread.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 AM

I've got 15 people coming over so I am grilling a couple of London Broils (LB's).

1. I will rinse and pat the LB's dry. I will also take a metal tenderizer (hammer) and tenderize the meat a bit. I'm not looking to flatten it, just get it less stringy.

2. I combine some extra virgin olive oil, Montreal Steak Seasoning, and a few cloves of chopped up garlic.

3. I will then rub and brush this mixture on to the LB's in a very loving manner. Some people poke holes with a fork to let it seap in. I am undecided on this as I feel it may let moistness out, once on the grill (I'd like to hear opinions).

4. I will then go and start the fire in my WEBER charcoal grill. Yes it is important to use a WEBER grill.

5. I am looking for a medium heat. I should be able to hold my hand over the center of the grill for about 4-5 seconds. This is a medium heat. I like the weber because I feel it allows me to regulate temperature better than other grills.

6. I will cook each side for approximately 7-8 minutes and flip it only once. This should give me a "medium" cooked steak. The cool thing about the LB's is that some parts will be medium rare, some medium and some medium well.

7. I pull it off the grill and put it on a platter to set for 5 minutes. I then start to slice it in strips. The strips correspond to how that part of the meat is cooked. Well done is thin, Medium is thicker, Rare is thickest.

Trobleshooting a mistake on the grill: It is easy to screw up a LB because they are HUGE. I make a peppercorn gravy from a packet and have it ready in case I screw up the grilling and the meat is tough. Peppercorn gravy is a great way to moisten up a dry LB. If the LB comes out the way it is supposed to, I don't set the gravy on the table. Also, If the meat is too tough (overcooked)cut it more thinly, almost like fajitas. LB's are not a high quality meat. They are big and inexpensive for when a bunch of people are coming over. However, If cooked right, they are tremendous.

edited to add the tenderization piece.

LLL
Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM

It's raining its ass off in south texas so i'm not grillin a damn thing. Bitch ass weather...
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

thin hamburger patty on the bottom, add crumbled bacon, sliced mushrooms and diced onion, put another hamburger on top, seal the edges, grill.

i think i win here.

rj
Old 07-04-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thin hamburger patty on the bottom, add crumbled bacon, sliced mushrooms and diced onion, put another hamburger on top, seal the edges, grill.

i think i win here.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking my [censored], nga. Ain't no burger alive that beats a propah slow-smoked, Texas-style brisket.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM

i've only ever once had salmon and that was sushi, i've just always had a mental block w/ liking fish. so today i'm going to try grilled salmon following this recipe.

http://seafood.allrecipes.com/az/Gri...bnrLimBttr.asp

although getting habanero pepper might be impossible, so i might switch that for some jalapenos. i have no idea if this is a good or bad idea. thoughts? if it's a bad idea what should i switch it for?

edit: oh yea it's 4th july. that's why you're all grilling.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 PM

Burgers, hotdogs, pork roll, italian sausage, homemade chili, potato salad, macaroni salad, and baked beans.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've only ever once had salmon and that was sushi, i've just always had a mental block w/ liking fish. so today i'm going to try grilled salmon following this recipe.

http://seafood.allrecipes.com/az/Gri...bnrLimBttr.asp

although getting habanero pepper might be impossible, so i might switch that for some jalapenos. i have no idea if this is a good or bad idea. thoughts? if it's a bad idea what should i switch it for?

[/ QUOTE ]why would habanero be hard to get? is there some kind of shortage or something?

at least where i am from the habanero's are right next to the jalapenos at every grocery store in town.

btw habanero's have a very different flavor than jalapenos so i wouldn't be very confident that they are switchable in most recipes
Old 07-04-2006, 12:21 PM

15 pork butts, 3 briskets, 2 turkeys, 10 racks of ribs and 14 pounds of chicken wings!