Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Common situation I\'ve found myself in a lot recently

Lets assume 100BB stacks, reletively unknown villain, PP, $200NL 6max.

One of the biggest differences I've found between this game and the 200NL on full tilt is 3betting preflop. At fulltilt, they almost never 3bet you preflop...at PP, it seems to be happening quite a bit of late and I'm not to sure how I should adjust my calling/4betting ranges:

Presume its folded to you on the button and you hold one of 99/TT/JJ and you make a standard raise to $8, SB folds and BB raises to $25.

Should I push/call/fold with these hands? And also what about lower PPs like 22-88, standard fold?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Common situation I\'ve found myself in a lot recently

Disclaimer: I'm new, so I possibly don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm curious. What's the advantage of pushing over calling and looking for a good flop to try to get it in on? If you're called, you're coin-flipping at best, but if you see a flop first, you can toss it if it comes like AK4.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 PM

#1. You need a read on whether BB reraises light or not. When playing vs. reraises it is *crucial* to know if you are playing against a big pair or someone who's messing around. If he's messing around you don't have implied odds to crack him, but might want to float postflop.

#2. In either case I call with any pair. Maybe I should fold the baby pairs if he's messing around, dunno. (I also call with AA). A big part of the reason is position.

I think maybe there are some situations where if he's 3-betting a big range you should 4-bet almost any two cards. Dunno, that's not in my game yet.

For example, I've had this a few times :

Folds to me in the SB.
I open with whatever.
BB reraises (3-bets).
What do I do ?

I'm out of position so just calling sucks. I think in this case, being OOP, if he 3-bets light, I should 4-bet a lot of hands.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:35 PM

dbitel,

I sometimes reraise. I sometimes call. I'll rarely fold. Push WTF. That's a gigantic overbet..
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM

agreed with cbloom. if he's reraising you light then i dont see any reason why 4-betting isnt an option. TT+ is most likely ahead of his wide range. depending on the player, i'm also calling with small pairs most times if i think i'll get paid off.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM

Against someone who's rr'ing light, 4-betting 88-22 and calling 99-JJ sounds about right?

Think I'll stick to FT though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Dazarath,

pushing gives you FE. You fold out hands like AQ/67s and maybe even hands you're behind. Plus if you just call, you could fold the best hand on the flop

cbloom,

I've been calling as well (and FWIW, I'm calling here with AA well over 50% of the time too) but I just don't think its +EV. My sample size is pretty small (~12k hands) but I've found that over ~70% of villains reraise a bit lighter than what is seen as standard at lower limits, whether they're good TAGs and are doing it b/c its good play or they'r bad LAGs and doing it for reasons they don't know. The only players that seem not to are the 14/3 and 60/7 type of players.

I'm really really sure you cant call for set odds alone. And floating becomes tricky and expensive, b/c the pots already $50 odd
Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 PM

Isura,

Yeah, pushings an overbet...but it gives max FE and if you make a PSR, you pretty much gotta call a push and you also gotta stick the money in on all flops. So I think it might be a higher EV to push rather than a PSR, but not too sure really

orange,

how often you calling with the small pairs vs an unknown? What about some who you've seen/suspect of 3betting light?

jam,

as long as you stay outa my games, i'm happy! And whats your plan for 99-JJ on various flops if you just call? If you're 4betting 22-88, how much is it too? What do you do vs a call or a push?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 PM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!

[ QUOTE ]
Against someone who's rr'ing light, 4-betting 88-22 and calling 99-JJ sounds about right?

Think I'll stick to FT though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why to the first statement.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 PM

db, I definitely agree calling with baby pairs for sets is no good if they're mixing it up.