Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Default How does the whole alternate process work?

Saw the repeat of the 2004 WSOP last night on ESPN and they were talking about how they had over 100 alternates for the main event, how do this work? They showed the first alternate getting in the event. Does he get his full stack?

How does the whole alternate process work?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: How does the whole alternate process work?

[ QUOTE ]

How does the whole alternate process work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Badly.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:05 PM

Somebody busts. The person first in line as an alternate gets that seat with the same number of chips that everyone else started with. There's an arbitrary limit for each event for how long this can continue, eg end of Level 2.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody busts. The person first in line as an alternate gets that seat with the same number of chips that everyone else started with. There's an arbitrary limit for each event for how long this can continue, eg end of Level 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not accurate. the alternate stacks are blinded off (sort off) I'm not sure how they decide how much, but I had an alternate seated at my table and the floor handed me 4 $25 chips from the alternate's stack an was directed to add one to each of the next four pots.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not accurate. the alternate stacks are blinded off (sort off) I'm not sure how they decide how much, but I had an alternate seated at my table and the floor handed me 4 $25 chips from the alternate's stack an was directed to add one to each of the next four pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, then. They sure didn't inform the players at my tables of any juice in the upcoming pots. What if it's a blind v blind complete/check down, you still add the $25? This all sounds retarded to me (nothing against the dealers, of course, it wasn't their decision) but I guess it's par for the course. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, then. They sure didn't inform the players at my tables of any juice in the upcoming pots. What if it's a blind v blind complete/check down, you still add the $25? This all sounds retarded to me (nothing against the dealers, of course, it wasn't their decision) but I guess it's par for the course. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This ain't unique to WSOP. They do this at the Wynn daily tournaments, too. I don't understand why adding the extra chips to the pots is better than just not putting them into play.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I don't remember now, the floor might have told me to add it to the next 4 that went to a flop.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Because it's easier to keep track of total chips if it's still X * 10,000 (or whatever the starting buyin) than if it's

5,000 * 10,000 + 100 * 9,800 (or whatever).