Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Two tough decisions with small pairs.

I have my own thoughts about these hands but I am very interested to read others comments before I contaminate you all with my view. Reads for first hand: villan who raises from CO is solid player, villan who calls is a solid, passive player. Reads second hand: villian who pushes seems a thinking player who is prolly deperate, villan who calls from sb is pretty loose player who likely realizes short-stack is desperate.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Tourney
Blinds: 50/100
10 players
Converter
Seat 1: dumndumb (8295 in chips)
Seat 2: madtown (1605 in chips)
Seat 3: Leakylew (1565 in chips)
Seat 4: wjmoeller (870 in chips)
Seat 5: Mark B (2372.50 in chips)
Seat 6: Neverfear (2840 in chips)
Seat 7: __TP__ (6780 in chips)
Seat 8: mobiletom (1960 in chips)
Seat 9: Champ100 (2057.50 in chips)
Seat 10: Butcher99 (2940 in chips)
Mark B: posts small blind 50
Neverfear: posts big blind 100

Pre-flop: (10 players) dumbndumb is MP2 with :6h :6s
UTG folds, mobiletom calls, 2 folds, dumbndumb calls, madtown calls, [color=#cc0000]leakylew raises to $800</font>, 3 folds, mobiletom calls,

dumbndumb?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Tourney
Blinds: 150/300
7 players
Converter
Seat 1: dumndumb (11560 in chips)
Seat 2: mapolko (10655 in chips)
Seat 4: mam76 (5310 in chips)
Seat 5: EAGLE123 (1790 in chips)
Seat 6: zatoichi (3820 in chips)
Seat 7: adamaek sits out
Seat 8: dman21 (2565 in chips)
Seat 9: Wells002 (10370 in chips)
Seat 10: BLIMEEY2 sits out
BLIMEEY2: posts small blind 150
dumndumb: posts big blind 300

Pre-flop: (7 players) dumbndumb is BB with :3c :3d
2 folds, [color=#cc0000]EAGLE123 raises all-in $1790</font>, 2 folds, Wells002(sb) calls,

dumbndumb?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Two tough decisions with small pairs.

I fold both.

hand one you don't have the implied odds you need.
hand two you don't have the implied odds you need either, but I might call against the shorty only depending on the villian.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:23 PM

villan in hand 1 is very low stacked, no impiled odds at all, id fold.

hand 2 I am calling
Old 07-03-2006, 07:27 PM

1) fold or push, calling's not an option for me here. I probably fold as CO just put half his stack out there and is pot-committed and yuo do not get the implied odds you need to hit your set.

2) Consider pushing if you think your read is right and if caller is tight enough, there's then enough dead money in there to make up for the times you are up against a bigger pair and fishing for a 3...

JMHO.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) fold or push, calling's not an option for me here. I probably fold as CO just put half his stack out there and is pot-committed and yuo do not get the implied odds you need to hit your set.

2) Consider pushing if you think your read is right and if caller is tight enough, there's then enough dead money in there to make up for the times you are up against a bigger pair and fishing for a 3...

JMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

never considered number 2 there and I like it. However, calling in hand 2 is terrible...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

JMHO. [/quote}

never considered number 2 t`here and I like it. However, calling in hand 2 is terrible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Never considered it? Here's another highly situational move of the same (sort of) kind. Requires: A shortstack pushes(desperate read), a player with a decent stack raises to isolate (your read should be that he isolates with hands he's not ready to play for entire stack), and you are in SB / BB and cover the Re-raiser... The more you are sure the re-raiser will fold to your push - the more you should be willing to push ANY TWO!

Other factors come into play here two, but you get the idea.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

JMHO. [/quote}

never considered number 2 t`here and I like it. However, calling in hand 2 is terrible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Never considered it? Here's another highly situational move of the same (sort of) kind. Requires: A shortstack pushes(desperate read), a player with a decent stack raises to isolate (your read should be that he isolates with hands he's not ready to play for entire stack), and you are in SB / BB and cover the Re-raiser... The more you are sure the re-raiser will fold to your push - the more you should be willing to push ANY TWO!

Other factors come into play here two, but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, with hand # two I never considered calling. It was push or fold. The raise was a relatively large bet for even a loose villan to call, so I was concerned villan # 2 might have something big enough not to fold Had I come over the top, so I layed it down. He indeed showed AQo and he may very well have called (for the results curious I would have won the hand).