Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Few preflop questions.

I have recently converted from limit to NL and get lost in certain preflop situations.

What is a good calling range in the BB when some raises a standard 4xBB. I normally call any pocket pairs, suited connectors 87s or better and maybe 2 suited face cards against a person with a high pfr raise percentage. Against a passive opponent I will tighten up my range.

Also is it correct to cold call with pocket pairs against a standard preflop raise against a LAG or TAG player??

Thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Few preflop questions.

[ QUOTE ]

Also is it correct to cold call with pocket pairs against a standard preflop raise against a LAG or TAG player??

[/ QUOTE ]

LAG. But in general, be more willing to play for sets against bad players.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 PM

depends on position of the raiser, whether there's any other callers/how many, stack sizes, whether it's 6max/FR/SH.

But assuming 100bb stacks and you're playing tight abc poker: you usually want a multiway pot with suited connectors. Cold-calling with low-mid PP's for set value is standard, if you want you can search for Bob Ciaffone's 5-10 rule but basically you can call standard pf raises with them.

For bigger PP's, AA/KK is always re-raise pf and usually QQ. JJ some people go either way (re-raise or call).
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 PM

the question you have to ask when you play mid/low pp is: "is villian ready to pay me off when i hit my set?".
good TAGs tend to not go broke on TP & overpair hands, so i think you have to adjust here a little if it will be heads up on the flop...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 AM

if opp has 100+bb and I cover, I'll usually call a standard raise with any pocket pair.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently converted from limit to NL and get lost in certain preflop situations.

What is a good calling range in the BB when some raises a standard 4xBB. I normally call any pocket pairs, suited connectors 87s or better and maybe 2 suited face cards against a person with a high pfr raise percentage. Against a passive opponent I will tighten up my range.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely cold call in the BB against a raise. Basically my play is:

small PPs, 22-88: generally call, occasionally reraise. Fold against certain players.

PPs 99+: usually reraise. 99-TT are marginal and depend on how tight the raiser is, so is JJ to some degree but he has to be pretty tight (say PFR or 7 or less) to just call w/JJ.

AQo+: generally reraise. Otherwise fold. I will almost never coldcall with AQo, it's either raise or fold. Occasionally I coldcall with AK, but usually reraise.

AJs: sometimes coldcall, sometimes reraise, usually fold, depending on the raiser.

suited connectors: either fold or reraise. Usually fold, throw in the occasional reraise to mix things up.

These are obviously general guidelines, and can vary pretty dramatically depending on the raiser.