Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Default NL vs. Limit - plugging leaks in one opened holes in another!

Prior to reading SSHE, I played NL primarily. Based on the advice of many here, I purchased and read SSHE and found it amazing...and consequently started playing a lot more limit online and B&M...with good results.

Oddly enough, my NL game has really deteriorated. What has changed in my NL game? I think I am no longer cold calling raises as much pre-flop, per SSHE limit guidelines, but rather raising or folding, which makes handling subsequent reraises a bit more complicated decision for me than it would be in limit.

Guess I am wondering if anyone has experienced a change in their game play as a result of new knowledge whereupon certain skills seem to improve while others devolve.

Moreover, are there tactical mistakes often associated with switching bewteen a small stakes limit game to a small stakes No Limit game? Thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: NL vs. Limit - plugging leaks in one opened holes in another!

I don't think you are causing leaks from plugging another rather you are just playing a limit style that has no place in no-limit.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 AM

i thought cold-calling raises was bad in any form?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Most likely OP's real problem may be hand selection. A lot of times I find that if I have been playign a lot of one particular game (6max LHE vs full ring LHE vs NL) if I am not careful I will start playing bad hands PF. I think OP may now just be plaing too many hands and at NL and needs to pare back so that he can make that raise more confidantly.

Also SSHE can be dangerous when misapplied. I still find that I cant play well with all of the marginal hands that it recommends for loose games and have been using tighter starting hand guidelines. I have gotten better at this though since starting to play 6max.

Greg
Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. Most likely OP's real problem may be hand selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, as I look through my hand histories this seems to be the biggest misadjusment/misapplication I have made. Although not loosely as one might expect but tighter and more aggresively than I had thought.

For example, folding 10-10 through QQ even on the button to a raise and reraise before me. Reraising only with AA, KK, AK s in such siutuations. Cold calling one raiser with AQ s AK os.

In limit this strategy has yielded good returns for me. In NL, my experience using the same strategy has clearly been a misapplication. I think I am putting more money into coin-tosses and keeping myself out of hands that I might actually win, either because of positional advantage or material equity.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM

I find the biggest mistake I make in moving from limit to NL is making loose calls to overbets on the river, and finding that they completed their flush or straight.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:48 PM

You don't cold call raises in NL?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 AM

You can't use a pneumatic drill when everyone else is using a pickaxe and shovel.
In my experience it is extremely hard to play both limit and PL/NL well, especially short handed games.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:50 AM

i mentioned this elsewhere but i think in NL they, at the lower limits, low raise UTG constantly expecting to fold. I like to call a flop with a pair there.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Cold-calling a raise preflop is quite appropriate in NL with a very wide range of hands.

In limit, if you have a hand that is strong enough to get involved after a raise with no money in yet, you usually want to reraise to add pressure to the blinds or limpers. That you open yourself up to a cap is not important. (There are exceptions such as hands that pick up enough dead money to be worth playing heads up with position if the blinds fold, or which might be ahead in a multiway pot if the blinds call.)

In NL, raises are usually large enough that the blinds should fold even if you just call, so you usually don't need to reraise to protect your hand from the blinds. On the other hand, it may be very expensive to inflate the pot or to give the preflop raiser the opportunity to act again. Calling a raise is often the best way to use your positional advantage.