Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Open limping

Hi all. Likely a rather simple preflop question.

It's been a while since I've played some serious poker but I might start very soon. Rereading some SSHE I was wondering about open limping.

I've always tried to limit the open limping from EP, almost never open limped in MP and absolutely never open limped in LP. I think the 'almost never open limping in MP' might be incorrect.

Consider a 10 handed game, ranging from $1-$2 to approx. $5-$10. Do you open limp in MP? If so, what do you open limp in MP? Which MP would that be (MP1, MP2, etc)? Do you make a difference it being a $1-$2 game or a $5-$10 game?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Open limping

i think general statements like "open-limping" is bad or for weak players is advice directed at the beginning poker player. open limping is actually something i do a bit more than i have in the past if the conditions are right. if my limp will encourage overlimps, it is fine with a hand that thrives on multiway action and implied odds; just make sure you know the table is right. open-limping at an aggressive table will get you isolated quite frequently so unless that is something you want, stay away from it. i also tend to open-limp more when i have good control over the table because people tend to try NOT to isolate me because they know i will play back. i think an interesting discussion can be made about open-limping on the button, but it could almost devote an entire thread to it IMO in discussing the merits and required opponent types for it to be a good play.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:26 PM

I agree entirely that this is some very basic stuff and that it depends on the circumstances, opponents, table, etc. I was still wondering though if people had some broad guidelines for themselves.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 PM

9Ts, JTs, QJs sometimes, pocket pairs, suited aces, some other suited connectors . these are hands i might open limp. but i may open raise with them too. i don't open limp after MP1 almost ever until the button. and then i may open limp a hand like A6o or something(on the button).
Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM

I rarely open limp in MP. If I do its with something I don't care if it gets raised or there are passive people behind me. Middle suited connectors and small pocket pairs are examples. Most of the time though I won't even play these if I am first in.