Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Default $60 turbo reraise TT allin on bubble vs big stack?

Big stack seems pretty loose. Other guys seem pretty solid.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

BB (t1570)
UTG (t7960)
Button (t1670)
Hero (t2300)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Re: $60 turbo reraise TT allin on bubble vs big stack?

Tough spot considering the stack sizes. The big stack minraise really looks like he wants action with a good holding.

Unless the big stack has been actively raising every other hand. I would fold and wait for a better spot to secure that I get in the money.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Pretty clear repush. A min raise from the button could easily be ax even kx or someother stupid holdings. A fold is very weak. I don't like calling because there are too many scary flops and he has a decent sized range.
Occasionaly big stack will wake up with a monster, but most of the time you are a huge favorite.
If for some reason you think he is huge then you are probably getting implied odds to stack him if you flop a set.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 PM

I push hands worse then T's here
Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM

ICM

Fold preflop, assume BB also folds, you have .233
Push, Villain folds, you have .264
Push, Villain calls, you win, you have .326

If he calls every time, you need to be 71.5%. Note that your odds aren't quite there if he has only a single overcard, and if he has two, you are very unhappy.

He better be folding a heck of a lot to justify a push, given the relatively small gain by restealing.

Moral: when the blinds are still relatively low, don't f with the one guy who can bust you out on the bubble.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ICM

Fold preflop, assume BB also folds, you have .233
Push, Villain folds, you have .264
Push, Villain calls, you win, you have .326

If he calls every time, you need to be 71.5%. Note that your odds aren't quite there if he has only a single overcard, and if he has two, you are very unhappy.

He better be folding a heck of a lot to justify a push, given the relatively small gain by restealing.

Moral: when the blinds are still relatively low, don't f with the one guy who can bust you out on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of what I was thinking, without all the fancy numbers to back it up. Nice post.

I might push sometimes if I think big stack is stealing and if he is capable of folding to my push. If he is the loose type who calls all ins loosely, or if Im not sure, I fold.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:28 AM

I would call, and get it all-in on an all unders flop, which will happen enough of the time with TT to justify calling. I suppose against some opponents I would push as well, but it depends.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 AM

Tiger,

What do you do if the big stack shoves preflop? The bad thing about TT is that it is sensitive to pushing ranges. AK plays almost as well against the top 30% as it does against a random. It is clearly a call against a random hand, but most people are rarely shoving any 2 here. What do you think?

OP,

I don't know what you mean by "pretty lose", but the fact that he just minpopped helps your cause here. If he pushed straight away, it would be a very tough decision (you need to win almost 72% of the time). The fact that you have folding equity makes this a pretty easy push. Even if you win less then 72% of the time when called, the times that you pick up the dead T700 make pushing worth it. I have no idea what the EV of taking a flop is though I don't do it in this spot since it is impossible to tell when it missed my opponent. If the flop is Q85 for example, what would you do?

I like a push here.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 AM

If he shoved I'd need to really think about it. If he's insanely loose then I'd probably call, but I agree that TT is far from the ideal hand to go to war with on the bubble.