Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 04:03 PM

Default What should I do? Trying to stay on a professor\'s good side...

Some backround:
So I'm taking this class right now, and so far out of the 9 times the class has met, I've skipped 4. (it's 5 days/week @ 9am) The professor definitely notices when I skip because there are only 8 students. There have been two assignments, of which the first I handed in a day late. When I handed it in late he seemed a little annoyed.

Well today I slept through class again and so I handed in my (second) assignment a couple hours after class got out. When I gave it to him, he gave a depressing sigh, looked at me and said:

"This is the second time...."

I apologized and said it wouldnt happen again. He didn't respond so I just said 'sorry' again and left his office.

Here's my question:
I'm going out of town for the 4th weekend so I will be missing class on Monday. I have failed to mention this to my professor and I am unsure how to go about it. Keep in mind I have missed 4 out of the 9 classes already and provided no explanation for my absence.

-Should I email him to tell him I'll be gone Monday?

-Should I include an apology (again) for the late assignments?

-Should I include and apology for the previous classes I missed? (I missed them becuase I slept through my alarm, should I provide a reason for why I skipped class?)

-Should I just do nothing at all?

What do you guys think? I'm trying to do the best thing to not get me on his bad side.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: What should I do?

You're already on his bad side.

You should bring back your Col. Sanders avatar.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think? I'm trying to do the best thing to not get me on his bad side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late for that. I would reread the syllabus to see what percentage of the grade if any comes from class participation/attendance and how much is deducted for late work. Assuming you are not already failing the class, I wouldn't tell the prof anything and then turn over a new leaf starting wednesday.

Bottom line, you have only yourself to blame for your predicament. The prof doesnt want to hear your BS in an email.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late for that. I would reread the syllabus to see what percentage of the grade if any comes from class participation/attendance and how much is deducted for late work. Assuming you are not already failing the class, I wouldn't tell the prof anything and then turn over a new leaf starting wednesday.

Bottom line, you have only yourself to blame for your predicament. The prof doesnt want to hear your BS in an email.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I was thinking. Any email I send him, especially one full of apologies, will just come off as BS.

attendance/participation = 12.5% (there's still 4 weeks of class)

homework = 62.5% (there's still 6 assignments left) i think i get half credit for my late assignments

So I'm pretty sure I am not going to fail the class

Is saying nothing better than a short email saying I'll be gone monday, w/ no apologies and no BS?

[ QUOTE ]
You should bring back your Col. Sanders avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
good idea
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 PM

Yes. Much better. If you are able to go to every class starting wednesday for the next 4 weeks then the prof will be in a position to forgive your early screwups or at least he will be more receptive to a BS explanation for your earlier truancy.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:24 PM

1. be resposible and do what you need to pass this class. you are wasting money if you fail and need to retake. is sleeping in worth it?

2. be more specific in your subject heading so that it might envoke more discussion. i usually dont click on such cryptict subjects but i miscued.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:26 PM

Why isn't handing the assignment in before you leave an option? If you're going to miss the class, that's fine, but at least get the assignment to him before you go out of town!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't handing the assignment in before you leave an option? If you're going to miss the class, that's fine, but at least get the assignment to him before you go out of town!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not an assignment due on Monday, so I'll just be missing lecture.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 PM

HAH! I always click on the cryptic ones (and am usually disappointed). Can't help it.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Don't send an e-mail apology or anything. Just show up to every class from now on, and hand in assignments early(if that's even possible).