Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Defend with K5 finish with 2 pair

Only at table for a while, no real reads

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Comments every street please
Old 06-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Defend with K5 finish with 2 pair

Well, the river checkraise is bold, I have to admit.

By the way, what kind of range does an unknown 2/4 stealer tend to have? I ask because I don't know, and it sort of influences the rest of the hand.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM

I may be too tight, but I'd tend to fold pf without a read. I'm still feeling my way through SH play, but I still have a LOT to learn...
Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be too tight, but I'd tend to fold pf without a read. I'm still feeling my way through SH play, but I still have a LOT to learn...

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding preflop is okay -- especially if the stealer's range isn't especially wide. Among other things, the rake is kind of a problem here.

My default is to call, for instance, with K5s, though.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:37 PM

That's what I was thinking, Nick. I'd feel a lot more comfortable calling this if it were suited.

What about laying down the flop to the two paint cards, or especially to the three-flush on the turn? How likely is is that villain is slowplaying a flush?

Getting to the turn, even though the four-flush scares my, I'd likely call, expecting to lose.

So, how bad are my thoughts here? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking, Nick. I'd feel a lot more comfortable calling this if it were suited.

What about laying down the flop to the two paint cards, or especially to the three-flush on the turn? How likely is is that villain is slowplaying a flush?

Getting to the turn, even though the four-flush scares my, I'd likely call, expecting to lose.

So, how bad are my thoughts here? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as bottom pair flops go, this one isn't really that good for us, but this depends in part of the stealer's likely range. The checkraise seems all right to me and could lead to winning quickly versus, say, A7o, which we don't mind. Check-calling is all right too, I think. I don't like check-folding. If we're doing that, we probably shouldn't have played our hand in the first place.

On the turn, I think check-folding would be all right, mainly because we got 3-bet on the flop. But versus some of the aggro stealers I face at 5/10, I hesitate to fold any pair in a blind-steal situation. In any case, I'm certainly not assuming that Villain just made a flush, but the turn card does cut into our outs somewhat (since Villain could easily have one heart, for instance, even if he doesn't have two). To continue profitably, we need to have some chance of being currently ahead versus AQ or KQ or something, especially if we're calling again on the river (which it seems like we need to plan on doing to make the turn call worthwhile, unless we think Villain will give us a free showdown a decent amount of the time with his losing hands).

On the river, the four-flush will often scare Villain into checking. So I don't really get the river checkraise. If Villain actually bets, the chances he backed into a flush (he did probably already have something else earlier) just went up.