Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Default US Kettlebell users: anyone got a review?

I've been thinking about getting a US kettlebell. Anyone got a review they'd want to share? I found another company (NY Barbells) that sells non-adjustable ones for pretty cheap ($85 delivered) so I'm wondering if people think the US version's worth it.

Also, anyone who wants to rebut the "Kettlebells : An Antidote to the Hype" article that's all over the internet (for isntance, here), that'd be good by me as well.

It's really annoying that I can't try a kettlebell out before getting one...I mean, they sell them *nowhere* around that I can find (and I live in NJ - it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere). Along with the sheer volume of online hype, that fact kind of makes me skeptical of their worth...

-bb.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Re: US Kettlebell users: anyone got a review?

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Several people on this board swear by them, and I'm a recent convert.
I'd consider myself an advanced lifter. I'm 31, been lifting since 14, and used to compete somewhat successfully at powerlifting. I got my first kettlebell a few months ago and wish I would have found out about them 15 years ago.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:36 AM

I have a pair of the US Kettlebells and like them fine, but haven't tried anything else. Blarg had some issues with a rough spot on the handle, but mine are nice and smooth. I actually just bumped the weight up to 20.75kg last night, and I like the ability to add weight in small increments.

As for ther article, it's been discussed on Dragon Door's forum, and apparently the guy that wrote it even came out and said he was wrong about a lot of it.

Some article discussion:
One
Two
Three

EDIT: If you want to try them out before buying, you might try finding a RKC instructor in your area and take a class. I think the DD forum has trainer listings.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pair of the US Kettlebells and like them fine, but haven't tried anything else. Blarg had some issues with a rough spot on the handle, but mine are nice and smooth. I actually just bumped the weight up to 20.75kg last night, and I like the ability to add weight in small increments.

As for ther article, it's been discussed on Dragon Door's forum, and apparently the guy that wrote it even came out and said he was wrong about a lot of it.

Some article discussion:
One
Two
Three

EDIT: If you want to try them out before buying, you might try finding a RKC instructor in your area and take a class. I think the DD forum has trainer listings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome; thanks for the links & insights.

-bb.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM

I don't think we've had a thread on these yet. Too bad the keywords aren't unique at all, so its impossible to search and find out.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we've had a thread on these yet. Too bad the keywords aren't unique at all, so its impossible to search and find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched for Kettlebells. I've also read the kettlebell thread. They didn't have specific reviews of this one. In case you didn't RTF OP. Also, FWIW, when I searched the official kettleball thread no longer came up.

Your contribution was valuable, though. Thanks for the bump.

-bb.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:13 PM

FWIW I've been alternating days of:

Day 1:
Hindu Squats (5x...)
Clean & Press(Ladders)

Day 2:
Swings (5-10x...)
Side press (Ladders)

I keep rests as short as possible and my workouts never take more than about 30 minutes.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I've been alternating days of:

Day 1:
Hindu Squats (5x...)
Clean & Press(Ladders)

Day 2:
Swings (5-10x...)
Side press (Ladders)

I keep rests as short as possible and my workouts never take more than about 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I've decided that my being so tentative on this is retarded. I'm getting bored with what I've been doing, and I think this will be a good next step for me...the kool-aide is being drunk as we speak...I'll be a card-carrying member as soon as my kettlebell gets here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm getting a US kettlebell (the package with the dvd), plus the From Russia with Tough Love DVD from DD, as that's supposed to be the best for beginners from what I've heard.

Thanks again-

-bb.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plus the From Russia with Tough Love DVD from DD, as that's supposed to be the best for beginners from what I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I had heard, although since then Pavel has come out with the Enter the Kettlebell book & DVD. The ETK book is very good, but I haven't seen the DVD yet. It might be better.