Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Optimal strategy for this kind of a tournament

Live tournament, 60$ buy in. Stacks 300, blinds starts with 5/10 and go up every 20 minutes (doesn't always double up but close). ~100 players, about 10 gets payed. Players in this tournament are mostly beginners, loose calling machines and so on. How do you think a player who is a much better than the average field should play ?. stacks and blinds don't leave much room for skilled play but what do you think is the optimal play ? Should the better player still avoid close big pots or should he gamble in the beginning t o make a stack and then dominate easily afterwards-
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Optimal strategy for this kind of a tournament

My suggestion would be to not play this type of tournament. Almost no chips, and just a little more than 1 orbit and blinds go up.

If you still want to play I think you have to play all your edges extremely aggressively. You are starting out at 30xBB and if you don't play a hand the first orbit you will be down to 15xBB in 20 min, which means after the 2nd orbit you'll already be in pushbot mode, trying to double up. Seriously, don't play a tourney w/ this crappy structure.