Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Public Service Announcement - Too Much Pot May Be Bad

*Cliff's Notes at end*

This is just one of those anecdotal pieces of evidence supporting the statement that too much pot is bad.

Yesterday I was scheduled to ride on a bus for 14 hours starting at 7:30pm. I've been on one of these night rides before, and it sucked a decent amount.

So, I composed a plan. I would get really high; that would ease the discomfort. So I did, at ~6:45pm. I immediately felt very very sick, and bolted to the toilet for some dry heaving. I felt so exhausted I couldn't get myself off of the bathroom floor for ~ 10 minutes. It was a very dirty bathroom floor, at a cheap hostel in Laos, but this was about number 5 on things I at the time cared about the most.

I hadn't even checked into this hostel yet, so if I fell asleep on the floor, eventually some one wanting to use the only toilet would get impatient and start banging on the locked door, and I would be in a bad situation. So after psyching myself up for a few mins, which took absolutely everything I've got, I managed to get myself standing and began staggering out the door. There was an empty bed down the hallway about 15 metres from where I started. As I stood up I lost my vision temporarily, which is a strange feeling when your eyes are wide open. Slowly a modicum of vision came back and I just managed to get myself to the bed.

The only time in my life I've ever felt sicker was when I had pneumonia (104 temperature, like a bad fever). My head was spinning, I felt extremely exhausted, and felt quite nauseous. There were several other symptoms but those were the main ones.

So, OOT potheads, is this at all common? Like a pot overdose?

Some possible factors that contributed to the badness besides the weed:<ul type="square">[*]I haven't smoked a whole lot in my life, prolly like 10-20 times. Furthermore, very recently I think I have become better at inhaling and keeping down the smoke, possibly allowing me to get much higher than ever before.
[*]I had only eaten one meal that day, some noodle soup.
[*]I may have been a little dehydrated, I currently have some mild diarrhea. This diarrhea also may be a symptom of some kind of sickness I have. I also drank a fair amount the previous night.
[*]The joint was half tobacco half marijuana, and I don't smoke cigarettes, so possibly the nicotine was too much for me in combo with other factors.[/list]The reason for this post is prior to yesterday I honestly believed you could not get very sick from too much weed. I had the notion weed was similar to alcohol except you don't get a hangover or get sick. Hopefully you potheads out there can educate sporadic users like me and maybe some future users reading the thread. Feel free to tell my why I'm and idiot.

And a special thanks goes out to MagicNinja, who made sure I was ok the whole time. He checked me into the hostel, got me some water, got my bags from another hostel, and informed my friends I wasn't going to make the bus trip. He also kept a regular watch on me, asking me how sick I was and implied he'd take me to a hospital if needed.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you MagicNinja!!!

*Cliff's notes* I got really sick after smoking some weed, and I'm wondering how common this is.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Public Service Announcement - Too Much Pot May Be Bad

not very common to my knowledge - closest I ever came to an overdose was a headache and nap - but never sick to my stomach - but you have too many variables - tobacco esp. -

or maybe I was just an intolerant mo-fo - I've always felt like I adapted to drugs too fast - but no - sickness like you describe is rare, in my past experience.

RB
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 AM

This is pretty extreme but it doesn't surprise me. I started a thread sometime back asking if others had problems with smoking weed. It turned out that it wasn't that uncommon. I recall someone comparing the effects of THC to Ritilan. And it doesn't matter if it's a massive bong session or just a one-hitter. Some get mellow from it while others get juked up.

I've puked from weed, felt like I was having a coronary and so forth. THC just doesn't agree with everybody. Suck, cuz when I was younger I really liked getting high.

That said, I really wanna try the vaporizer.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:48 AM

You know, while lying on my bed in misery, I was wondering if a vaporizer would have been much better. Not that I had one, but I'm one step closer to getting one now.

and cheers whiskeytown for your input
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 AM

You can get sick from smoking too much pot, though it's not commont. In my earlier days of smoking pot, I once got sick from too much weed. Basically, I had some pot that was getting old and I wanted to use it all up, so I decided to split hte rest of it with a largish group of friends. We ended up with a couple of joints that we split, but everyone else got quite high and stopped smoking right after we lit up the last joint. Not knowing any better I finished the entire thing. It took a few hours before I could stand or walk normally again and I had to struggle not to vomit.

However, I think this is pretty rare, and you have to ignore signs to stop that are pretty obvious to anyone who smokes semi-regularly. Also, some people are actually allergic to pot, and they can have these kinds of reactions, but they experience it every time they smoke.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:05 AM

Yes I think I did ignore those signs actually. After just a few hits I felt far more stoned than I ever have before from just a few hits. Yet I kept at it cause I felt getting very baked would be a good idea.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:06 AM

if i dont smoke, i get sick. is this kind of the same thing?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:12 AM

The half of the joint that was tobacco might have had something to do with it. Since there was no filter, and you're not a smoker, the symptoms sound exactly like a nicotine high....happened to me the first time I tried chewing tobaccy.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:12 AM

I don't have any stories to share about getting sick like that, but I do agree with one of the above posters that said that THC just doesn't agree with everyone.

The first few times that I smoked pot nothing really happened, good or bad. After that, I smoked 4 times more and the experience was just bad for me. My mouth tastes like ash and is completely dry, and I just generally wouldn't feel well and all I would do while high was be waiting for it to end so I would feel better again.

My pothead friends insist that I'm just paranoid whatever that means, but I haven't smoked since(about 2 years) because I just don't find it enjoyable.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:20 AM

I've gotten violently sick three times: twice from smoking, once from cookies. The first time was one and a half rips of the dankest [censored] I've ever smoked. I ended up puking on my friend's parent's foot during my high school grad night. The second time was when I had about 3 cookies too many because I didn't feel anything after 30 minutes (hint: it kicks in later). Got feverish, sweaty, and tingly. Had to sleep it off. The third time was when I took a huge rip of some medical marijuana and ended up heaving about 10 times over the course of a very slow hour.

I think I'm forgetting one other incident where my body wouldn't stop humming and I became hypersensitive to touch/sound/light.

I've finally deduced that there's something about THC that my body cannot handle. I can't begin to describe how awful I felt each of these times. That being said, I fully expect to forget about these incidents in a year and try again. That seems to be the pattern anyhow.