Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Moving between limits

Just a quick question, would I be hurting my overall profits of playing a mix of .50/1 and 1/2. For instance, I dont want to hit a rush on .50/1 and make half as much as I would on 1/2. Or is this just dumb?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Moving between limits

it's just dumb.

Don't worry yourself with this, if you see a .5/1 game that looks great, 7 people limping every hand, sit down and play. Same goes for 1/2. But if one of the tables tightens up, or all the fish leave, and a bunch of tags sit down, leave. A juicy .5/1 game can be just as profitable as a [censored] 1/2 game. I wouldn't worry about hitting your "rush" on the wrong table, it's just variance, what if you hit your "downswing" on a 1/2 table? Just play good poker. gl
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM

Depends on your BB win rate on each limit. If you have the proper BR for 1/2 but uncomfortable moving up your idea is not bad if you usually play multiple tables.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a quick question, would I be hurting my overall profits of playing a mix of .50/1 and 1/2. For instance, I dont want to hit a rush on .50/1 and make half as much as I would on 1/2. Or is this just dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Brett, this month I have played from .5/1 (the 6max games were great when I cleared the Empire bonus) to 5/10. Basically as long as you have the bankroll to be comfortable, go ahead and play the limit where the games are good and where you will have the most fun. Basically when I'm in an autopilot mood I play 1/2 full and 4-6 table, but if I'm feeling like actually playing some poker I one or two table six max between 1/2 and 3/6, or 5/10 full, depending on which games are the best.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the respones, sorta off-topic but I was told a 300x the BB is a good BR for limit. Does that still apply to more than 1 table?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM

Don't know what the exact recommendations are but you need a little more. Not 300 per table but more like 300 for one and 400 for 2 tables
Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM

But don't look to much at your BR. For example don't play 1/2 because you got a BR of $600. If you play .5/1 and got $600 take some shots at it and if you feel comfortable and your making like 1BB/100 keep playing at the limit etc.

The comfortable thing is very important.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the respones, sorta off-topic but I was told a 300x the BB is a good BR for limit. Does that still apply to more than 1 table?

[/ QUOTE ]

most people say yes, because variance is reduced when muti-tabling.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
variance is reduced when muti-tabling

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not. Variance is defined mathematically (I won't go into details)

Multi-tabling has no affect whatsoever on bankroll requirements or variance. ***

All multitabling does it help you get to your ultimate results faster. You hear all the time "long run, long run, long run".

10,000 hands isn't the long run, but its a much longer run than 1000 hands.

Since each hand is an INDEPENDENT event (the previous hand has no impact on the next hand) increasing the number of tables does not affect your win rate in BB /100 or your variance.

You are statistically as likely to go an a big downswing 4 tabling as you are single tabling (250 hands at table A,B,C, and D = 1000 hands at table A).

your expected results after the 1000 hands are identical.

To take this example further, playing 1 million hands simultaneously (if possible) is the exact same statistically as playing 1 hand at a time, a million times in a row.

All multi-tabling does is allow you to speed up the "long run"

***Assuming that the quality of your play does not deteriorate when adding additional tables.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
variance is reduced when muti-tabling

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's not. Variance is defined mathematically (I won't go into details)

Multi-tabling has no affect whatsoever on bankroll requirements or variance. ***

All multitabling does it help you get to your ultimate results faster. You hear all the time "long run, long run, long run".

10,000 hands isn't the long run, but its a much longer run than 1000 hands.

Since each hand is an INDEPENDENT event (the previous hand has no impact on the next hand) increasing the number of tables does not affect your win rate in BB /100 or your variance.

You are statistically as likely to go an a big downswing 4 tabling as you are single tabling (250 hands at table A,B,C, and D = 1000 hands at table A).

your expected results after the 1000 hands are identical.

To take this example further, playing 1 million hands simultaneously (if possible) is the exact same statistically as playing 1 hand at a time, a million times in a row.

All multi-tabling does is allow you to speed up the "long run"

***Assuming that the quality of your play does not deteriorate when adding additional tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good explanation by UATrewqaz and 100% correct.