Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 PM

Default The US Women\'s Open

In my opinion, so far this year the 2 women's majors have provided the most exciting finishes in golf. Myself, being an unabashed Michelle Wie supporter, I hope she wins it so people stop complaining that the best female golfer on the planet hasn't won anything yet.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: The US Women\'s Open

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, so far this year the 2 women's majors have provided the most exciting finishes in golf. Myself, being an unabashed Michelle Wie supporter, I hope she wins it so people stop complaining that the best female golfer on the planet hasn't won anything yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, BBB. She is far and away the best ball striker in the women's game already; if she could putt at all, she'd have about a dozen trophies and a couple of majors.

She'll be a card-carrying PGA tour member within a decade.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:07 PM

"She'll be a card-carrying PGA tour member within a decade. "

I seriously doubt that.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Yeah, putting inside five feet is the killer for her. She needs to practice a million putts or so using that circle drill that Pelz started Mickelson on.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 AM

BBB,

Having played since I was two and having had some serious yips, I really think it's more mental than drill. She needs to consider an alternate grip and/or a different putter...and for her sake do those things RIGHT BEFORE a major, before her demons can catch up to her.

I don't watch Wie putt enough to say with certainty that this is the problem. But anyone who has putted many hundreds of thousands of balls as she has should be able to do better than she has from close range.

Also, this should be interesting - the recent women's majors have provided some really excellent finishes. Although I usually don't follow the LPGA, the improvement in talent and increase in good-looking broads has made it way more watchable.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:57 AM

For all the old guard complains about wie etc. it is wie that brought me into the women's game, and now i am a fan.

there is plenty of good young talent out there and it is a pretty good product right now.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why? She's played very well in her PGA tournaments and is still only 16.

First Round, Fifth place, one shot back. Another top five for Wie in a women's major.....
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why? She's played very well in her PGA tournaments and is still only 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that depends on how you define "very well." She's missed the cut at her home course and at one of the weakest fields of the year.

She can dominate the women's game because of her length. But there are hundreds of aspring PGA professionals who can hit it just as good as Wie and her short game doesn't set her apart from any of them...so I believe she will play some tournaments every year and even make a cut or two but I doubt that she will be an exempt member of the PGA tour.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that depends on how you define "very well." She's missed the cut at her home course and at one of the weakest fields of the year.

She can dominate the women's game because of her length. But there are hundreds of aspring PGA professionals who can hit it just as good as Wie and her short game doesn't set her apart from any of them...so I believe she will play some tournaments every year and even make a cut or two but I doubt that she will be an exempt member of the PGA tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with you, if she weren't only 16 (with a lot of time for improvement, even assuming that female golfers mature more quickly than males)
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with you, if she weren't only 16 (with a lot of time for improvement, even assuming that female golfers mature more quickly than males)

[/ QUOTE ]
Well keep Sergio Garcia in mind when you say that...