Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 PM

Default New guy downstairs is a huge doosh. Advice please.

Cliff notes at bottom.

OK so the jist of it is that I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 level apartment and the new guy who moved in downstairs about 1.5 months ago basically is a doosh.

I've gone down there 4 times about noise, and he still just doesn't get it at all. He doesn't understand that his bass travels up the walls into my apartment.

The first incident was on the first NIGHT he was there, HIS alarm clock woke me up at full volume. Went down, told him, that problem is fixed.

Then it started with the bass music. Went down, knocked on door and aparently his mom (?? He's like 19 years old and it's a 1 br) answers and I tell her that it's too loud and she tells giggles and smiles and tells him to turn it down, to which he does, WITHOUT EVEN BOTHERING to look at me or say "sorry" or "my bad" or whatever. It was as if he only cared as much as his mommy was going to chastize him (which obviously isn't much).

3rd time was a weeknight at 1:30 AM. He's sitting out on his balcony with the door open and his radio blasting so that he can f***ing hear it on his balcony. WTF!?!? DUDE. Have some manners. I go down the steps and tell him to turn it down saying "It's 1:30" as if he doesn't know. He jumps up quickly and says "Oh!.." and hurries in to turn it down. So the guy is all show. He acts as if he cares but he really doesn't give a f***.

The next time he had the stuff on too loud too late I basically just walked above where he was and stomped my foot about 10 times. The music stopped so I was sort of glad, but I really don't want to have to resort to such primitive ways to get things done.

The other night it was 12:30am on a weekday night, I'm SICK, with EARPLUGS in (I usually have to sleep with earplugs b/c of this guy), and his f***ing bass is on.

Now I'm trying to be less passive-agressive than I have been in the past but I told my GF that it's time I report him to the management office.

Is this a d*ck move? I mean, I've communicated to the guy 4 times and he isn't making progress. It should be noted that the last guy who lived there, I had to tell TWICE, and he never was a problem again. This guy just has no manners. And my gf and I are about to sign another year lease within the month.

I told her that I was thinking of telling the office that we're not going to renew until it is made clear to this fellow that common courtesy is expected on the premesis.

I don't want to get nasty looks from this d*ckwad everytime I go out to my car, but jeez, it's getting ridiculous.

What's my move, OOT?

Cliff notes: I've told guy downstairs 4 times to STFU and he still doesn't get it because he lives with his mommy so he doesn't care about other residents. What is my next move?

Fun sidenote: I could basically PWN this guy hard at any moment with my electric guitar by placing my amp up against the common wall or facing down against the floor. I haven't done it YET, but I'd really like to. I just don't think it would be the proper path to take. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: New guy downstairs is a huge doosh. Advice please.

its douche not doosh.

step 1) threaten to call police

step 2) talk to landlord.

step 3) call police.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:41 PM

phb, this guy sounds like a Katrina refugee. Flood his apartment from above, maybe he'll move again.

If that doesn't work, break a window and threaten him with a knife.

Anyway, do you two live in a vacuum? There have to be other neighbors pissed off about this. Have you talked with the person on the first floor or any of his adjacent neighbors?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
break a window and threaten him with a knife.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM

He lives with his mom?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

step 3) call police.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume talking to landlord comes before calling police. And I don't want to have to "threaten" the guy.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

step 3) call police.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Never threaten to call the police and then not call. When you get to the point where you feel it's necessary to call them, just call them.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM

Prohornblower,

Don't report him. If you did go to the mgmt office what would happen is they would only inform him that they have gotten a noise complaint and the he needs to keep it down. He may or may not keep the noise down after the complaint but he will now think that you are the douche and he will try to piss you off in different ways.

So what you need to do is to stop going down there and telling him to turn down his music. You need to go down there when the music is not loud, and you need to tell him that his music is generally too loud and that he cannot continue to do that anymore. Offer to go back up to your apt and help him to figure out what an acceptable loudness is so that you can't hear the bass.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, do you two live in a vacuum? There have to be other neighbors pissed off about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the apartments are laid out, it shouldn't really affect any other neighbor. It's like an extra sunroom (computer room) where he plays his bass and I have my computer room directly above that. There is no sunroom on level 3. I'm the only one who hears it.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Offer to go back up to your apt and help him to figure out what an acceptable loudness is so that you can't hear the bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to let this guy into my apartment. He's slightly bigger than me, and younger than me. I'm not one of those types who welcomes people onto their premesis. I'm very private, as would be witnessed in other threads.