Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 PM

Default 50NL - tough spot with JJ in a blind battle

50NL 6max
No real reads on villain, only that he bought in short and has worked his stack up. He probably views me as tight so far.
Effective stacks are $50.

All fold to Villain who min raises to $1. I make it $4 with black JJ. He calls.

Flop ($8) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet $6, he calls.

Turn ($20) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet $10, Villain pushes

Comments on all streets appreciated, especially turn and my weak line.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 50NL - tough spot with JJ in a blind battle

Reraise to $6-8 preflop.

Bet the pot on the flop.

I don't know about the turn, I'd be betting out something like 3/4 pot or more because I'm fairly certain I still have the best hand unless he has a ten. His push is gay because it's saying, "yo NNH, i've got a ten and I just outdrew you and i plan to take your stack now". I think for awhile and fold here, content to pick a better spot.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Is villain bad enough to call off most of his stack with less than JJ here? You've shown considerable strength already, and he hasn't gone away, so I think its time to slow down.

Checking the turn, and calling a bet on the river may be better here than keeping firing. If he checks the river, then bet for value.

My feeling is that people overvalue hands and bluff a lot in blind battles. If he thinks about what you have, he should realise that you don't have a ten here very often, making it a decent bluffing opportunity. Let him try here.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:18 PM

Its hard to critique HU hands because it is so image dependent, both yours and your opponent. All I can say in the way of advice is that going broke here with your hand isnt a terrible thing. I had a similar situation when I had QQ vs AA. I will say that I probably wouldve checked behind on the turn.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:45 PM

About checking the turn. If we check the turn (which is what I thought of right after the hand), how much am I forced to call on the river? Now, I don't know if he's value betting his trips or a PP I beat.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:58 PM

Not sure what you're beating if he checks turn and then leads river... Thoughts? I mean you beat a flush draw but that's already skewed because of the action we've seen in this hand.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM

As a general line of play for this type of hand, I think I'd want to bet the full pot on the flop, check behind on the turn, and then call up to 1/2 pot lead from villain on the river - or check behind on the river if I'm given the chance to do so.

As played, I fold and make a mental note that villain might have just bluffed me off an overpair with a flush or a straight draw by playing a scare card (the T on the turn) for a check-raise all-in. If he makes a regular, and predicable habit of this kind of play, you'll eventually catch him with his pants down & take his stack.