Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Value Bet the River? $1/2 NL on Pacific

This hand is from a $1/2 NL game on Pacific Poker. I was fairly new to the table and didn't have much of a read on anyone.

I am dealt JJ in the big blind.

UTG, one MP and one LP players all limp, SB completes and I just check.

Flop comes [ 4s, 9d, 2h ]. SB checks and I bet $3. It is folded back to the SB who makes it $8 total. (I started with $103 and the SB had $124) I just call with the thought of possibly raising on the turn.

The turn is the [ 7s ] and the SB leads out for $10. I strongly consider raising, but in the end I just call.

River comes [ 10s ] and my opponent checks and I am pretty sure my hand is good. I considered a value bet of about $15-20 (pot is $41), but I ended up checking it down for fear of reopening the betting. I didn't want to give my opponent the opportunity to come back over the top and but me into a difficult call with a vulnerable hand. Should I have value bet here or is it better to keep it simple and just take a nice medium size pot if my hand is good? Thanks,

Lee
Old 06-28-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Value Bet the River? $1/2 NL on Pacific

just calling down on the flop and turn is ugly - you have no way of discerning where you stand in the hand. You want other players to be reacting to your bets, not the other way around. Also raising pf is a must.