Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 PM

Default East Coast floods

Being flood intensive these days, I am concerned about possible flooding in my old home area of southeastern Pennsylvania. I hope all 2p2ers in that area are OK. I'd appreciate whatever updates those in the regions affected by the flooding can provide. I am especially interested flooding along the Schuylkill (especially in Berks County) and the Delaware and their tributary creeks. I know the Perkiomen flooded along the Bucks-Mont line where I used to live--and where my house flooded in Hurricane Agnes (while I was in the Black Hills of South Dakota). I read on CNN that [people are on their roofs and in their attics--that just brings back terrible memories.

BTW I had a frisson of schadenfreude to see the IRS building flooded, and the evil part of me wishes that the FEMA offices had flooded to the roof.

If you are where the water is rising, take it seriously and be safe. I myself have driven through high standing water, but it is not a good idea, to say the least.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: East Coast floods

second that.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 PM

LoL:

Sorry to hijack but:

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I had a frisson of schadenfreude to see the IRS building flooded, and the evil part of me wishes that the FEMA offices had flooded to the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahhaha - also "frisson of schadenfreude" = great phrase I'm stealing it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Al
Old 06-28-2006, 02:53 PM

What are you talking about? I'm here right now and there's nothing like that. It's humid and hot as hell.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Yeah there were some parking lots and streets flooded here in Baltimore but nothing severe that I heard about.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM

I did hear DC got pwned though. True?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did hear DC got pwned though. True?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe part of the Beltway was flooded out at some point. They definitely got hit harder than we did. Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland had a lot of flooding as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:05 PM

I just got an e-mail from a friend in DC talking about how his basement was completely flooded and a couple people he knows got evacuated from their homes in Rockville. There hasn't been a whole lot on the news, though.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:07 PM

I was driving in Upper Mo. County (Lahill Road) sunday night and nearly drowned several times because the d00d driving was somewhat poor. He kept slamming on his brakes every time we'd hit a big patch of flooded road, and start fishtailing. At one point we came over a hill and some dumbarse was stranded in the middle of a nascent river...we had to flip over to the left land and plow through the current, then back into the other lane before whapping the oncoming traffic. It was like a four hour cloudburst, and we couldn't see out the windshield at all. That was pretty crazy. I'm glad I made it back safely to Canada (aka Bmore)...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm in one little area that "Only" got about 6 inches and it's till pretty bad. I think DC finally maxed out at over 13 inches.

The bad part is that even though the rain finally stopped last night, the streams and rivers won't crest until tonight or tomorrow. DC and central maryland got pounded... they opened some of the dams last night and some people have drowned. (a couple idiots even tried to swim in one of the flooded streams yesterday and drowned).

I saw some reports last night from Harrisburg... some of the creeks have a flood stage of 11 feet. They were at 11.x last night and were projected to reach 21 feet. City Island has already been evacuated and they are beginning to evacuate other areas of PA, MD, and VA that I know of.

Standing water is a huge problem and is causing erosion and some roads, bridges, etc. have collapsed. It rained so hard and fast that the water can't run off fast enough.