Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Semi Bluff NL 25

Ok Plz tell me how I played this hand on all streets, this is not my typical way of playing at all so thats why id like some feedback.

Reads: im pretty new to the table but it seem relatively passive.
Stacks: every players in the hand have full stack or around 25$

Preflop
I get 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP and elect to call to try and see a cheap flop (do you prefer a small raise here like 3x BB ? or is this a fold most of the time)

Middle position raise to 1$, Dealer call, BB call, I elect to call.

Flop:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
pot is about 4$

BB pot it, I decided to min raise here 8$ hoping to scare away the 2 remaining players and possibly letting me see a cheap turn and river from BB, my normal action in this position with 2 more to act would be to fold here.

action: both remaining player folds and BB call

Turn:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB check, the 3rd diamond or the ace or both seem to scare him and I decided to go all in here for 16$ into a 20$ pot

Do you like it? the initial plan with the min raise was to get a check on the turn and take the free card but this seemed like a good time to semi-bluff.

Result later if ppl want
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Semi Bluff NL 25

you'll find other (better) spots than this to make plays... this isn't the best of them, but it's not bad.

min raise on the flop is weak, so make it more if you want more folding equity.

preflop limping with 7h6h in EP isn't the best play since you'd rather be in position post flop. but i've found that once you limp so does everybody else, so you're in a nice multiway pot by the end.

villian likely has an overpair or high cards.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM

I’m going to pretty much contradict everything that Los Toros said. First of all, I don’t like the call preflop. It’s ok to limp, but calling a raise in EP when you’re behind is a mistake. The limp is fine, but one MP raises it’s time to get out of dodge.

On the flop, I am a little worried that the BB is leading the action. He is not the pre-flop raiser, so I think he may have hit a piece of that flop or at least has a middle pocket pair. As Los Toros said, the min-raise is bad. If you’re going to raise, make it between $10 - $12. Again, the fact that BB was not the pre-flop aggressor and is now showing aggression should be troubling.

Edit: Don't raise the flop. Why build a pot with a weak drawing hand?

His check could mean a lot of things, but I doubt you have enough folding equity to really justify a push. I suspect he called with something like J9 or maybe a pocket pair of some kind. Hope you got there.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM

preflop there are many different lines that can be taken, but i feel that a hand like this is fairly easy to play post flop if you can narrow villian's range to high cards or something of the like.

of course, i don't play 7h6h as aggressively as i would JhTh ... but in this spot it mostly depends on villian's stats and the action.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM

Find a hand converter.

At 25NL, fancy moves like this are -EV to the bone. You may have gotten away with this one, but you are looking to lose money in the long run.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Expanding on the flop points:
Why are you trying to scare anyone away? You have a decent draw and want a multiway pot. If you minreraise your implied odds show you need to see the turn for free EVERY time the turn bricks, you can NEVER lose when you do hit, and you need to stack villian EVERY time you hit. Hmmm...not EV+.

So if you want to reraise the flop it has to be big enough to get a lot of FE...everyone thinks BB is strong so this is at best high variance and probably soundly EV-.

I think you can call flop and hope you get some other callers. Folding the flop is not terrible either (and I agree with others that folding preflop is better still).
Old 06-28-2006, 10:38 AM

Jouster,

I like what you are saying about the flop. He really shouldn't be raising here. Why build a big pot when all you've got is a drawing hand?

-Waxie
Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 AM

You'll find that some aggressive opponents will bet a draw on the flop. By min-raising, you're only giving them goofily good odds to call on their draw. You'll also find that many players that draw on the flop check their made draw on the turn.

When Villain pots it, give up the hand. If Villain bets around 2/3 pot, make a real raise; it will have some real FE and you've got a live draw. That will often give you a free look at the river -- if you decide not to fire at a bricked turn.

As played, I applaud your guts on the turn; you're getting a fold here often. But you'll see a lot of big diamonds call, and obv if you're trapped, you're toast.

In summary: good idea on the flop -- but poor timing and raise more. Good idea on the turn -- but not the ideal spot.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hoping to scare away the 2 remaining players

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want to do this? Serious question.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Thx for all the comments so far, I pretty much agree with all of you guys so far, I think the biggest mnistake was the min raise on flop, it was probably a call or fold but a fold most of the time wich would be my normal play.

As for the all in on turn I think it was ok, I can probably get a fold here pretty often and still win when called.

In the actual hand the guy waited 30 sec and called with Q9 offsuit, river was 9 of clubs and he won with trips 9.

Even if it doesnt matter I dont see how he can call with Q9 preflop and on the turn but I should just be happy that he do that most of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].