Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 09:59 PM

Default $100 PL question OESD

This is a $100 PL game. Villian is super aggressive. The 4 callers after the flop made me scratch my head. Should I have reraised the flop or just flat called?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]($5.5, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $4.98, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($25.42, 4 players)
UTG bets $24.17, UTG+1 raises to $73.34, Hero folds, CO folds, UTG calls all-in $18.5
Uncalled bets: $30.67 returned to UTG+1.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($110.76, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $110.76)

Results:
Final pot: $110.76
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: $100 PL question OESD

[ QUOTE ]
The 4 callers after the flop made me scratch my head. Should I have reraised the flop or just flat called?

[/ QUOTE ] Definitely flat called. Even if you ARE beating UTG right now, there has already been one call ahead of you, and two players will be acting after you.
As you are on a draw to the nuts and have decent position, you want as many callers as possible. If you make the nuts on the turn, it looks like theres a good chance that UTG will make another pot size bet, so you may as well try and get the money in when youre a bigger favorite.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 PM

Was Folding on the turn correct? Would you have folded there? I just started playing omaha and dont know how to calculate odds. NL Holdem is much easier for me to figure out if it is correct to call or fold.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was Folding on the turn correct? Would you have folded there? I just started playing omaha and dont know how to calculate odds. NL Holdem is much easier for me to figure out if it is correct to call or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calculating odds is exactly the same in both games. You should work on it, it's a good skill to have.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 PM

this is an easy fold on the turn. ur probably against a backdoor FD as well so that will kill a lot of ur outs.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 AM

Yes, you should fold here. You only have 9 outs to the nuts, and 2 of those outs will make a low possible.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM

Ok, I see how the flop should be a smooth-call, and the turn is a definite fold with only 9 outs, and only 7 of them to the whole pot, but...

Shouldn't this be raised preflop?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I see how the flop should be a smooth-call, and the turn is a definite fold with only 9 outs, and only 7 of them to the whole pot, but...

Shouldn't this be raised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I actually raise it sometimes and limp others (probably 20% raise 80% limp and the raising is mainly done for deceptive purposes).

It's not a hand that you should raise for value, and it is a hand that likes multiple opponents because when you hit a flop you will hit it big and will often be in a scooping situation.

Those are my thoughts on this hand.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a hand that you should raise for value, and it is a hand that likes multiple opponents because when you hit a flop you will hit it big and will often be in a scooping situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha, but, you've already got 2 opponents in, making it more likely that others will stay in as well, no? So, you're going to be multiway. And, as you say, if the flop hits you it will hit you hard, but likely miss those who aren't as strong as you are high, so don't you want the pot to be big to encourage them to chase their weak lows, for instance? And if the flop comes low and non-[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you can release pretty easily.

I'm just trying to reconcile (coming from HE) playing 25-30% VPIP and 3-5% PFR, so please excuse the basic preflop questions.