Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Long stretch of bad cards/luck?

I had made two weekend trips to a Borgata recently. I play mostly 5,10 no limit with a little of 10, 25 no limit if I feel the game is good.

During these two weekend trip I have logged in 52 hours at the poker table. During these past two trip I have lost a total ~$10,000. I'm usually a winning player. Prior to these two trip, I average about $65/hour (decent sampling size, playing 2 weekends a month for the past 1.5 years) playing in these games.

I can't believe the number of bad cards that I received in the recent run. It seems like I am constantly folding. During the past two weekends, I have not hit a straight, flush or full house except for two occassions. Once I hit a straight only to have a player hit a gut shot higher straight. I also had three of a kind while my opponenet had two pair after the turn. After all the money went in on the turn, the river filled us both up, only to have his full house higher than mine. These were many times that I had a flush and straight draw on the flop only to have the turn and river go blank, blank.

I felt these past two weeks had just been a tremendous amount of bad cards and bad luck.

I also feel that games are getting tougher at Borgata. I see some regular players who had constantly win but saw them with some losing sessions recently.

Has anyone experience such a turn in forturne? The turn in events has my questioning my game. Borgata regular players, do you feel the game has gotten much tougher recently?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Long stretch of bad cards/luck?

this may be of little relevance but;

my last 75 hours of 6-8 tabling im break even, in fact slightly down i think (id need to check and get be bothered).

the previous 100 hours i was running at $190 per hour (playing mainly 3-6nl, also a bit of 5-10nl and 10-20nl)
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 PM

Sounds like you played just over 1500 hands and lost about 7 or 8 buy-ins. That is s pretty rapid downswing but just do a search on variance or downswing and you should get your answer. There is no doubt the games are getting tougher everyday though.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM

I've dropped 11 BI's at NL 1K in 563 hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

so it happens
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 PM

I'm down 13 buyins the past two days.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 PM

biggest downswing in 3 years here...16 buy'ins in one week....I am sure that i suck at poker.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 PM

The big games at the Borgata have gotten A LOT tougher in the past few months.