Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Final table for $1000 WSOP seat - Pushing from UTG+1??

Last night, I made it to the final table of a freeroll donkament. First prize is a $1000 WSOP seat, 2nd place and below is bupkis. The blinds are 3000/6000 and about to go to 4000/8000. Do I have any choice with this hand?

UTG (63077)
Hero (39379)
MP1 (58689)
MP2 (44950)
MP3 (24170)
CO (6382)
Button (36202)
SB (14701)
BB (6926)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 fold, Hero ???

I'm really only worried about the two MP players with stacks larger than mine.

Thanks for your comments. It's probably obvious that MP2 called me with AJo, which held up.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Final table for $1000 WSOP seat - Pushing from UTG+1??

Fold because the BB is allin. There is no way you can steal the blinds, so don't push with a medium strength hand from early position.

If the BB had 5 or more x BB, this would be an easy push since it is winner take all.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 PM

oh misread hand, but Id fold due to some of the reasons that betgo metnioned. Basically you are risking all your chips for like a 60% chance to win the blinds.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM

I don't understand. He's in a tournament where only 1st place has any value, he's not in the chiplead, and he's got KQ. While the big blind's tiny stack eliminates the benefit he would normally get if he had fold equity, it also means the BB is going to call him with a range (any two cards) that's WAY behind his KQ. Seems like a push is still +EV (and since this is effectively a winner take all, that means its +$EV too). What am I missing?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Wow really? I thought this was an easy push, why is it a clear fold? I figure you're ahead of a blind hand, and its winner take all, and the blinds are astronomical. Also someone would need an absolute monster to call your allin.

...ok I just read that someone called you with AJo...if you knew that was how loose the table was then I guess its a fold. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 05:04 PM

Well its just a math problem. Again, please note that I misread hand, thought blinds were much lower.

Anyway we win the blinds however often KQo beats a random hand, like 60% or so. Its a big difference compared to winning them 100% when everyone fold....a BIG BIG BIG DIFFERENCE.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. He's in a tournament where only 1st place has any value, he's not in the chiplead, and he's got KQ. While the big blind's tiny stack eliminates the benefit he would normally get if he had fold equity, it also means the BB is going to call him with a range (any two cards) that's WAY behind his KQ. Seems like a push is still +EV (and since this is effectively a winner take all, that means its +$EV too). What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

KQo is 61% versus a random hand. This is not nearly as good as stealing the blinds. Any hand that dominates KQo, AQ-AK, QQ-AA, is probably going to call or push, so it just isn't worth it.